Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving a 95 Taco extended cab 4x4 since 2000. And put a '90 Lite Craft pop up camper on it. I've never had a problem
with it even backroads around Moab, slickrock. Had extra springs put it and heavy duty shocks. Now I want to get a 1st gen Tundra
and am concerned my old camper may be too heavy. Seems the payload on my Taco was over 1600, quite a bit more than the Tundra.
Was hoping to get the smaller 1st gen Tundra, access cab, 4x4 with manual. Any dire warnings about trying to put my wood framed camper on the Tundra?
I've just spent the last 6 months sewing a new soft side for it and don't want to get rid of it but want to drive something newer. Tired of being the oldest truck in
the parking lot at the grocery store. Lite Craft went out of business in Denver and I can't find the actual dry weight for the camper.
Currently, it is off my truck. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have had a FourWheel Camper in the back of my Tundra for the past 17 years with airbags but my camper is 700-800 lb range and I don't ever think you should go past the GVW of any vehicle. When the Tundra first came out there was someone that overloaded their Tundra with a camper and had no problem leveling it with springs and bags but they ended up cracking the frame. There was a thread on here somewhere that showed the frame but I don't know where it is now. Find a local place that you can weigh your truck. Often county dumps have a scale. FYI I have a 2000 Access Cab 4x4 manual which I am sure you know only comes in the 3.4. I wish that when they put the 4.0 V-6 in the tundra with the 6speed manual that they made a 4x4 but it never happened.

Some specs. The curb weight of the 2000 4x4 with the V-8 (3.4 is close) is 4518 lbs and gross weight is 6050 so that gives you a total of 1532 including passengers. Well I traveled with two big dogs and my wife and my camper has a dry weight of about 800 lbs and when loaded we are very close to the GVW. When I was full of food, water and tow extra cans of gas we were actually over one time that I weighed the truck. Unfortunately the truck doesn't have a 2000 lb payload and the weight adds up fast.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I like the older Tundra. It's smaller than 2nd gen and seems manueverable on the backroads. While doing some truck shopping, I drove a dbl cab 06 a few days ago. Felt like a tank to me. Definitely looking for the 05 or 06 access cab. Would like to get the manual (my '95 taco is a manual) but they seem hard to find. Prices are way up on all of them, especially anything with 150k or less. I'm thinking I should just keep my camper on my old trusty taco and get a newer tundra or taco. Then sell camper and taco together and buy a lighter camper for the tundra. I guess I really lucked out when I bought my Tacoma and camper back in 2000. I didn't even think of payload. Just liked them both and bought them.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I can say the Tundra and the FourWheel camper is an amazing combo and with a Helwig sway bar in the back it is difficult to tell there is even a camper back there. With a simple set of Firestone Air bags the truck travels level and smooth. I do agree that the newer Tundras are HUGE and the Gen1 was the perfect size for me and my needs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts