Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone at Tundra Solutions. I'm a new member but have visited on a regular basis for a long time. I test drove a new 2007 V-8 4X4 4Runner the other day and the dealer allowed me to keep it over night. I parked it in my garage and cut the engine off. Approximately 5 minutes later I heard a loud single metallic pop. It repeated this sound a couple more times at 5 minute intrevals. I'm familiar with heat related popping and tinging sounds hot engines and exhaust systems make but I've never heard anything like this. After the vehicle cooled off I drove it several more times and it did the same thing everytime, so it has to be heat related. The sound is loud enough to make you think something has fallen over in the floor. My 2006 Tundra DC 4X4 has the same engine and it's never done anything remotely like this. Does anyone have an idea what's up. I have not bought it yet.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think it does sound like the exhaust system cooling. I've had mine parked for over half an hour and heard it make intermittent popping noises, sometimes loud enough to make me look for a fire! As an example, I think the cat converter can actually stay very hot for hours after shutdown.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
It's probably nothing. Maybe the heat shields making some harmony :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts