Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:I decided to do a drain/refill on my 2008 transmission today. I have read all I could find on the subject here. I had my 4 qts. of Amsoil ATF and a calibrated catch pan to measure what came out. I began draining (room temp 72 deg. F) and to my surprise, I got 4 qts. out and fluid was still coming out with no end in sight. The drain plug was quickly reinstalled and the 4 quarts of Amsoil fluid added via a hose from the engine bay. Since about 4 ounces were lost while putting the plug in during full flow, I know I have less fluid now than before the drain. The test drive went OK with nice crisp shifting and no slipping detected. Pan was 162 deg. F when I finished the test drive. I am confused since I was expecting about 3.2 quarts as has been reported in this forum by several DIY ers. Factory overfill? Different pan? My plan is to bypass the thermostat and check the level at ~120 deg. F after I get more Amsoil.
Comments please.
Regards,
BC

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
:confused:I decided to do a drain/refill on my 2008 transmission today. I have read all I could find on the subject here. I had my 4 qts. of Amsoil ATF and a calibrated catch pan to measure what came out. I began draining (room temp 72 deg. F) and to my surprise, I got 4 qts. out and fluid was still coming out with no end in sight. The drain plug was quickly reinstalled and the 4 quarts of Amsoil fluid added via a hose from the engine bay. Since about 4 ounces were lost while putting the plug in during full flow, I know I have less fluid now than before the drain. The test drive went OK with nice crisp shifting and no slipping detected. Pan was 162 deg. F when I finished the test drive. I am confused since I was expecting about 3.2 quarts as has been reported in this forum by several DIY ers. Factory overfill? Different pan? My plan is to bypass the thermostat and check the level at ~120 deg. F after I get more Amsoil.
Comments please.
Regards,
BC

If your truck is still under warranty ... can you use Amsoil instead of OEM fluid ??

I wanted to do what you did and the dealer told me no on my Tacoma.

FWIW ... I believe in changing ALL fluids in my vehicle more often than the manual says and I try to always use high quality synthetic lubricants too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer will not use another fluid if they do the work. I would not tell them I used Amsoil if in question. The level may not be correct, but it shifts better. Let's hear from others.
Thanks,
BC

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. The truck had sat overnight at 72 deg. F. I believe I could have gotten at least 5 quarts out.
Thank you.
bc

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After looking at the pics from Chacoetaco's thread, it appears my pan may be a bit larger. I dont remember the step in the forward portion. I will attemp a pic tonight for comparison. My truck is a late 2008 vintage with TRD and towing package. ????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts