Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOOBIE/HELP/QUESTION

7 days ago I purchased a used 2011 Tundra 5.7L SR5 TRD CrewCab/Off Road package. 165k mi.

Drove home happy. In the last 7 days I've had to jump it 3 times. Returned to the dealer, they replaced the battery n/c. Great. Runs fine. Today, it wouldn't start again. All dash and interior lights lit. When turning the key to start it just won't turn over. I tried a third time, it turned over however this time it continued cranking while not holding the key in the start position.

WHAT is going on.... I have been a Toyota truck fan for over 30 years and this is my first. I REALLY hate being an adult truck noobie, but here I am, naked as a pig's ass. Yes, I said that.

I'm distraught, any insight would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

TIA,
J

·
Premium Member
5,468 Posts
The part about cranking without holding the key is actually normal. The Tundra will attempt to start itself with just a momentary signal from the key. There is a timer that will stop it at around 15 seconds if it doesn't start.
The not starting could be several things such as a bad connection to the key switch, a bad starter, a bad battery cable connection, etc. If it is starting with jumper cables then it could be a bad battery to starter connection. I suggest you do some voltage readings to find out where the power is actually going.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If it continued cranking without the key turned the first thing I would check is the ignition switch.

Something is continuing the circuit. Did it stop cranking when you turned the ignition switch back to “Off”?

Right after posting this I saw that here was another reply. I didn’t think about the “auto start” feature. Did it end up starting? Or just cranking for a while?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it continued cranking without the key turned the first thing I would check is the ignition switch.

Something is continuing the circuit. Did it stop cranking when you turned the ignition switch back to “Off”?

Right after posting this I saw that here was another reply. I didn’t think about the “auto start” feature. Did it end up starting? Or just cranking for a while?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The battery was replaced by the dealer. When I released the key after releasing to start it actually started. When I got to my destination and turned off the truck. Minutes later I attempted to start again, it didn't start.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The part about cranking without holding the key is actually normal. The Tundra will attempt to start itself with just a momentary signal from the key. There is a timer that will stop it at around 15 seconds if it doesn't start.
The not starting could be several things such as a bad connection to the key switch, a bad starter, a bad battery cable connection, etc. If it is starting with jumper cables then it could be a bad battery to starter connection. I suggest you do some voltage readings to find out where the power is actually going.
The battery was replaced by the dealer. When I released the key after releasing to start it actually started. When I got to my destination and turned off the truck. Minutes later I attempted to start again, it didn't start.
Sound like your alternator is going bad. Have you checked running voltage? If it's not producing enough, you're going to keep killing your battery while driving.
Thanks, this was a used vehicle purchase so I'm returning to the dealer to assess. They said they did a voltage test but talk is cheap. We'll see what happens. Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Follow-up, replaced the Alternator but stranded again. Something is still draining the battery... getting really impatient with having bought a used Tundra 😡

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
From 06 tundramatt, It could be something as simple as a bare power seat wire, or a wire running out to your trailer wiring hook up. Don't give up looking, you'll figure it out. Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
FWIW, a neighbor called me yesterday with same problem with his Ford diesel 'dually' and my knee jerk response due to him having replaced the dual batteries/alternators [wealthier than me], in my mind this only left the voltage regulators, which so far has done the trick and at least a pretty cheap gamble.

Symptoms of a Bad Voltage Regulator
A damaged or failed voltage regulator can rapidly diminish the alternator's ability to cycle power from the battery. Dead Battery. A burned-out voltage regulator will diminish the vehicle battery's ability to charge or stop it altogether. Unpredictable Engine Performance.
Hope this helps,

GM

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check the simple things first. Did the dealer check the battery/starter connection cables for corrosion, connections at the starter to make sure the connection lugs are tight. Also, older battery cables can get corroded inside the cable as well as the where in connects to the battery lug connector. A simple voltage drop test can can tell if your getting full current from the battery to the starter. I've seen corrosion actually migrate up into the interior of the cable conductor strands. Also, you might have a faulty starter. If the starter runs after you release the ignition switch from start to run, the solenoid maybe be sticking which would cause the starter to run on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check the simple things first. Did the dealer check the battery/starter connection cables for corrosion, connections at the starter to make sure the connection lugs are tight. Also, older battery cables can get corroded inside the cable as well as the where in connects to the battery lug connector. A simple voltage drop test can can tell if your getting full current from the battery to the starter. I've seen corrosion actually migrate up into the interior of the cable conductor strands. Also, you might have a faulty starter. If the starter runs after you release the ignition switch from start to run, the solenoid maybe be sticking which would cause the starter to run on.
Yes. All that and a week later; new battery, alternator & starter. Joy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts