Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am currently de-horsing a 2008 AC tacoma 4x4. So I really like the truck, however I have a few questions before I go and lay down the money.

I am assuming that I don't have to worry about the TSB's if they don't include my model year or VIN numbers correct?

Also how does the 4x4 work on the Tacomas? I've been in a FZJ-80 so I'm used to full time 4wd. Someone told me to not use the 4x4 on road as it will cause the axles to bind.

Also I opted not to get the TRD package as I want to get OME springs and shocks as well as ARB air lockers so that I'd also have on-board air. Has anyone installed the ARB's? Also how does the locker fit for the front axle? Not used to only one solid axle :der:.

I also have the option of getting the Toyo Package on a different Tacoma that has the same features as the one I'm de-horsing. Is the toyo package worth the money?

Finally, is the 2009 worth the money over the 2008? Currently they are giving me a few discounts to take the 2008 and I'm not sure if need the extras on the 2009.

I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future, I just want to make sure this is the right truck before

·
Registered
169 Posts
Obviously, compare the two years. There a lot of safety features that are now standard on the '09 like VSC, A-TRAC, side and roll sensing airbags and options like the backup camera. If you can live without those things, get the '08. I feel no great sense of urgency to upgrade mine, to be honest.

About the TSB's, you MIGHT still have to worry about them. Toyota may just be slow in adding them because I know that the '08's still come with the 3-leaf spring pack but the TSB calls for a 4-leaf pack. You may be changing all that anyway, right?

As for 4X4, I have no clue. I'm sure others will chime in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Personally I'd go with a 2008 only because you can get a better deal and I dont need all those expensive dealer add on's but before you bite the bullet DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Log onto edmunds.com and find out the invoice on the exact truck your looking to buy. Once you find out what the dealer invoice is offer them 1% over invoice no more. If you the dealer doesnt want to budge off his asking price get up and walk out, chances are the dealership will call you within a couple of days and want to work out some sort of deal.

One more bit of advice, if you have a trade in don't tell him about it till AFTER you've agreed on the price of a new truck.

Keep us posted,

Tug

1 - 3 of 3 Posts