Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was just goofing around looking under the hood today, and when I popped the grey engine cover off, I noticed this green foam looking stuff on either side of the intake manifold and a little on the front next to the bend of the intake inlet. Is this supposed to be left in? My first thought was that it was something for shipment that shouldve been removed, but then thought maybe it was there to reduce rattling? Anybody else notice this on their 5.7?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
wow, nobody? guess it was a stupid question...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not a stupid question.

I remember poping the plastic up too and I saw two pieces of grey molded foam glued to the underside of the plastic cover. One was up front and to left right over the in take and the other piece was in the back to right.

My intial reaction was to peal them off to cut some weight off my beast. I decided against it, it's there for a reason, right?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beats me. Mines got the padded/foamy stuff glued to the underside of the cover also, then the greenish foamy peices I talked about in the original post. I pulled on one a bit and they seemed like theyd just pull off (IE werent glued), but I didnt want to yank them out w/o making sure they were/werent supposed to be there.:confused:

·
Registered
517 Posts
anti-rattle medication maybe?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ah yes I causally went outside and looked.

I saw a piece of foam brownish with a green tint at the bend of the intake as you described. Basically just sitting there molded to go 3/5 around a tube?

Insulatory reasoning maybe?

I'll let it be, the removal and overall weight reduction gains aren't worth it if I void the warrenty by removing it :D

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
it is anti rattle and dampening matieral. dont remove it. foam weights nothing to begin with.

SHipping material makes no sense at all since the truck isnt even driving...

I remember working on my 02 celica's intake manifold and the manual clearly said not to damage the foam. its essential , at least on the celica it was. essential for what , i have no idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts