Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an RPM drop right after start up? Sometimes so bad that the engine quits? (2000 Tundra, 4.7L)

What is the problem?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Had the same problem with my 2000 V8. It was a simple fix...clean the mass air flow sensor. Do a search for MAF and you will find numerous post on how to clean it. Take off the MAF and spray down with brake cleaner, let it dry and reinstall. I just did it yesterday and it idles smoother and runs better.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Could be a dirty throttle body. Remove intake piece and clean with carb cleaner. Could be the MAF too, but I'll bet it's TB.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked out both and found a lot of gunk. Thanks for the advice. TB looks easy to remove. Too bad a new gasket has to be special ordered.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
I checked out both and found a lot of gunk. Thanks for the advice. TB looks easy to remove. Too bad a new gasket has to be special ordered.
You DO NOT need to remove the throttle body, just the black plastic intake tube that goes between the air filter box and the throttle body. The intent is to gain access to the throttle body butterfly valve. You're cleaning the edges of the valve plate and its contact area in the throttle body.

Paul

·
No Really, I swear, I'm Done..
3,091 Posts
Yeah, don't remove the entire throttle body, this is a waste of time, plus you have to buy a new gasket.

just get some throttle body cleaner and some rags and prop that butterfly open with the but of a fat screw driver and get to scrubbing.

Also with the MAF DO NOT SPRAY DIRECTLY INTO IT WITH THE CLEANER!!!!!!!

This will break it, there is a couple hair like sensors. Get some electronics cleaner and spray around it enough to soak it but don't spray right at it.

After you clean both of these your truck will idle a lot higher than it normally does for a little while then will go back down. Usually it is only a couple times starting and driving, no biggie, just don't get freaked about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts