Toyota Tundra Forums banner
41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Nothing like buying cheap "Made in China" tools to get the job done right! A good quality, calibrated torque wrench is going to cost more than $19.99. I have been changing my own oil for over 40 years, and I have yet to use a torque wrench on an oil pan drain plug. Don't sweat the small stuff!
I normally don't buy tools at Harbor Freight but they do have some decent tools at great prices, especially when you are only going to use them once in a while. I use the torque wrench about 3 times a year, now maybe 6 times a year with the oil changes, so I am not about to pay $100 or so for a top shelf torque wrench in each of three different sizes. The wrenches I got from Harbor Freight are made by Pittsburg tools, chrome vanadium stainless steel, lifetime warranty, and accurate to +/- 4% which is more than good enough for my limited use. And the 3/8" wrench was on sale today for $14.99 too! See this site which has some very favorable reviews of these torque wrenches: Spanky's Place | Pittsburg Tools 20-200 inch lb torque wrench

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but Harbor Freight sells Pittsburgh...not Pittsburg...and I would bet that somewhere on that shiny tool it will say made in China. Oh well, so do the shoes I'm wearing...............

Harbor Freight Tools - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yep, that is what they sell. I just tested all 3 of the torque wrenches (1/4", 3/8", 1/2") and each one is reasonably accurate, works fine, and was easy to use. A great value for the money. I am not saying these are the same as Craftsman tools or anything, just that they work well and are a good value for the money. I have a garage full of Craftsman tools and they are worth every dime since I use them often. I also have plenty of other top name brand tools: Milwaukee, Porter Cable, Dewalt, etc. so I appreciate a good quality tool. This is why I was so surprised at how good the Pittsburgh torque wrenches are from Harbor Freight - an excellent value for the money. Before you slam them again why don't you check them out? You might be surprised. Now if you are just going to reply and tell me they are made in China again don't bother. I already know that and I could care less where they are made as long as they work as intended. :)

Oh and BTW: Harbor Freight also had an aluminum 3-ton racing jack on sale for $79 so I grabbed it, and it kicks a## compared to my 2-ton jack which was American made. I also got a pair of 6-ton jack stands for $19 on sale and they are exactly the same as my former 3-ton stands only much thicker steel and they cost about $10 less. Now Harbor Freight does sell a lot of junk for sure, and there are some things I wouln't take for free (like their power drills), but like I said you have to evaluate each item individually to determine if it is worth the price. In my case I am very pleased with the jack, jack stands, and torque wrenches. They also had a 5-pack of various size aluminum oil filter wrenches for $7.99 which beats the crap out of the $5.99 I paid for one at Auto Zone.

Now I really do stand a chance at completing the next Tundra oil change in under 2 hours... ;)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Wilee:

You can re-use the original gasket a least a few times until the metal washer looses it's softness due to work hardening during tightening and heat treat hardening due to contact with the engine oil case when hot. Were it a pure metallic crush washer like used on spark plugs you could anneal the metal by heating the washer with a torch and quenching it in water. Probalby just better to buy a new $1 gasket every two or three oil changes. I also understand that many of the replacements out there don't use metal in their construction at all.

I would only wait to install the under engine cover after running the engine a few mintues with the new oil and inspecting for leaks. After that bolt it on.

I agree 100% that Toyota should include a new plug gasket with the oil filter kit. It is more important than that disposable plastic filter drain nipple thingy they do include. Ridiculous.

Geeze. You're making me feel guilty for not pulling out the torque wrench on my last oil change. Snug the plug well without over-doing it and you should be good to go.

The worst torque wrenche's I've had are the new ones right out of the box. Unless you have somebody with a torque wrench calibration rig or want to perform the test yourself with a known weight at a know distance I'd buy the cheapo style with the spring dial indicator ... they'll be more accurate than clicking ratchet types out of the box. Aircraft airframe and powerplant mechanics have to calibrate their torque wrenches periodically and provide proof to FAA inspectors of complying with this check due to variations in the click-type ratchets. The error is usually worse on the small end of the force scale and then less precise the higher the torque rating of the wrench.

I only mention this because you seem like the kind of fellow who enjoys doing things right and sweating all the details. For most people using a torque wrench out of the box of either variety will still be more accurate than the TFAR (that feels about right) method. And even then for our automotive applications for most people just tightening the plug will suffice.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Oh, and I almost forgot. I use 4 wheel ramps (two pairs, sold by the pair) and drive my truck up on them to change the oil. It keeps the truck level for draining and are a snap to use. Your jack stands will work equivalently if they keep the truck level so you get a good oil drain.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Oh, and I almost forgot. I use 4 wheel ramps (two pairs, sold by the pair) and drive my truck up on them to change the oil. It keeps the truck level for draining and are a snap to use. Your jack stands will work equivalently if they keep the truck level so you get a good oil drain.
Good info, thanks. I had considered ramps but decided against them for the following reasons:
  1. Ramps are big and heavy so they are difficult to store, especially if you get 4 of them.
  2. Ramps don't work on all vehicles especially if you have mudflaps or low ground clearance.
  3. You can't change a tire with a ramp. ;)
I have been doing a lot of auto, construction, and home repair work for years. Never owned a torque wrench due to the high cost and very few times I would ever need it. Then I found the decent quality units on sale cheap at Harbor Freight and decided to try them out. They work great and they are at least more accurate than the guessing method. Even if they are not perfect they should at least be close to the correct reading, and they will certainly be much more consistent on multiple bolts than you could do your own.

With the Tundra I am pampering it because it is the most expensive, most powerful, and nicest vehicle I have owned to-date, plus it is only a few months old. It just wouldn't feel right to resort to shade-tree mechanic methods and shortcuts...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Best thread I've read in a long time. And a perfect reminder of why I don't change my own oil any more (but then again one of my best buddies owns a garage). Well, time to head to Harbor Freight just for the hell of it.

·
Registered
820 Posts
oh yeah, i almost forgot what this thread was about. got oil change today and waited 3 freakin hours,wtf!!!!! anyway after my sat. was shot i paid 38.68 for 8 quarts of 5w-20 plus i got a $10 gift card to target. i wondering why some people put 7 qrts and some people put 8 qrts. i think the manual calls for 7.4 qrts. didnt look at the ticket until i got home and found out they put 8 in. oh well i will do my next one myself anyway.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Best thread I've read in a long time. And a perfect reminder of why I don't change my own oil any more (but then again one of my best buddies owns a garage). Well, time to head to Harbor Freight just for the hell of it.
I too was reminded of why I pay for it. Not worth my time and aggrevation. I have a Toyota dealership I have been dealing with for years and trust them to do the job right. Only dealership I know that has come in UNDER the estimate and actually told me they didn't need certain parts. Small price to pay for extra time with the family.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Oh boy, what Wileetundra went through almost takes the fun out of driving :) it good that your persistent on detail but your really over thinking this job.

I have the small 4.7 L engine but you still have to drop, NOT REMOVE the skid plate to get at the spin on oil filter. One set of ramps works out great as the oil plug is at the back of the pan. I noticed more engines are coming that way now. I have been changing my own oil for 35 years now and NEVER had to replace the gasket on the oil plug. I also never used a torque wrench on a oil change. Just don't over tighten the plug. It's called mechanics feel.

As far as ramps I have used them on many vehicles including my 2001 Saturn Coupe that is very low. You just have to put down a couple of pieces of wood (like 2sx4's) to start the car up the ramp. BTW when I ran Tundra up the ramp I put her in 4x4 LOW and just took my foot off the brake and she walked right up the ramp. :)

So bottom line was I purchased TWO 5 quart containers of Mobil 1 5W-30 for $39.94 a Bosch oil filter for $7.99 but the truck only uses 6.5 qts of oil so I have some oil for another oil change. So figuring that I spent $33.93 plus tax on my do it myself oil change that I know was done right. And I put the old oil back into the 5 qt containers that I purchased plus another empty container I keep around the garage and take it back to Walmart where they have to accept the old oil for FREE.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've called 3 dealerships in my area and they're all $100+ for the 5000 mile maintenance service. That does include 0-20 synthetic oil, lube and tire rotation.

I went ahead and purchased the Toyota premium maintenance plan from Troy on this site for $875. Covers all the maintenance for 4yr/55,000. 8 of the 5000 services and the 15K, 30K, and 45K services (11 services total). I don't see how I can save much (is any) by going to a local garage and I have no interest in doing it myself.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I didn't look when I changed my oil but is there anything to lube. My last 3 vehicles didn't have anything that had a zerk fitting. I haven't used my grease gun in so long it may have rusted up :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
First one free and thereafter $49.99 plus tax. I would rather have the
dealer do this as opposed to taking off the skidplate every time it
needs to be done.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Actually the skip plate is a piece of cake. I coated all the bolts with Never Seez so next time it will be just as easy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I didn't look when I changed my oil but is there anything to lube. My last 3 vehicles didn't have anything that had a zerk fitting. I haven't used my grease gun in so long it may have rusted up :)
I was calling around and asked what they did for the plan and was told they add grease to the boots, maybe the drive shaft boots?

·
Registered
357 Posts
some change in prices. well my truck only has 140 mi on it. its spankin new. 07 tundra limited edition 4x4 trd and black with matching interior. well i managed to talk the sales person into giving me 3 free oil changes and free carwashes for a year. cant beat that. but after them three i'm switchin my oil to amsoil full synthetic

41 - 60 of 111 Posts