Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought some Toyota factory 17" alloy 5 blade wheels for my Tundra that came off of a 4Runner (you also see this wheel on the Tacoma trucks). I want to have them powder coated in black and the shop I am having do the work has 3 different shades of black for me to choose from. I am having a hard time figuring out which black to go with. My choices are gloss, semi gloss, or flat black. Has anyone had any experience with powder coating the factory wheels? What shade of black do you think would look best? My Tundra is a 2006 Access Cab in a Salsa Red color. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
GO with the Gloss black With a Coat of clear will look great and will resist the front brake dust its nasty stuff !

Cleans off easy !

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would say semi-black also, just because a super shiny black would look weird in my opinion. Good luck and show us some pics when your done! I don't think I've ever seen a red truck and black wheel combo, should be sweet though. :tu:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey Blackshear,

How much is it gonna cost if you don't mind. I am thinking of doing the same and my bumpers or just getting those AR series american racing rims.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I would recommend the semi-gloss as the full shiny would look like black chrome.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would lean toward the semi-gloss as well. It will retard some brake dust and still make it easy to wash off. It will look good too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the replies. As for the cost it is going to be around $60.00 per wheel. If I add clear coat it will be an additional $15.00 per wheel. The clear coat will add gloss back to the semi gloss and flat black and also it will provide more protection to the finsih. Right now I am leaning towards the semi gloss. I will definately add pictures when finished.

It would really be nice if someone could provide some pictures of their Tundra with powder coated wheels. I have to make up my mind by tomorrow morning!

Thanks,

Blackshear

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have the ten spoke toyota rims powder coated glass black on mine my check them out in my pictures. and there not hard to keep clean

·
Registered
113 Posts
I like how they did my wheels, 16" in a gloss and had the center caps sprayed and cleared to match. It has been almost a year since it was done and they still look like the first day i had them done. Check out the pictures in my gallery. You won't be disappointed with any style black you choose if they do a quality powder coat.

Good luck

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sure they're not black, but they look good! :crazy: You should definitely go for it!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Chucks truck nice wheels.
A buddy did some ALCOA wheels on a dually in Semi. They look good. Had to post, on my way to the rear step thread.

·
Registered
113 Posts
From what i remembered was that he said the emblem could be removed from the center cap and he was able to paint it separately. Honestly I am not sure if he masked or just sprayed and wiped with paint thinner... either way, the finish has stood up and they are easy to clean.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I picked up my wheels today and I think they turned out good. I decided to go with the semi gloss finish but did not have a clear coat put on the wheels. I was told that the clear they had was for a gloss finish and it would make the powder coat look the same as a gloss finish. I may regret not putting the clear coat on because it looks like they will scratch easy. Anyway I have attached a picture of the wheel. I plan on painting the center caps to match the wheels. I should have the tires installed by next week and I will post pictures of the wheels installed on the truck.

Powder Coated Wheel.jpg

·
Registered
181 Posts
From what i remembered was that he said the emblem could be removed from the center cap and he was able to paint it separately. Honestly I am not sure if he masked or just sprayed and wiped with paint thinner... either way, the finish has stood up and they are easy to clean.
Yea I was able to break off the melted tabs on the back of the cap then popped the logo off then painted. I was going to mask them off, but I really didn't have the patience hahaha. I just had a local paint shop match the color sample I had. I like how your wheels turned out blackshear! :tu:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts