Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Tundra SR5 extended cab 2wd

Wife called yesterday saying power steering went out. When she got home I checked fluid levels, added appropriately. When rolling the steering seems to work, when at a standstill it's a workout. No squeal or noise that stands out.

6 Months ago I replaced the tie rods, ball joints, etc. Noticed the passenger side of the steering rack boot connecting to tie rod had fluid in it. I added Lucas stop leak and all seemed fine.

Has my steering rack failed? Clogged pump or line

·
Registered
617 Posts
Rack could be the issue. I had sloppy steering issues and it ended up being the center clamp on the R&P unit was loose. Needed new bushings....BUT! My Rack also showed a leak, so I had gotten a new one from Detroit Axle ($260 with tie rod ends on Amazon, link below) and my son was gracious enough to install the new Rack as well as new POLY Bushings. He had the new bushings on hand and insisted they were a better choice than the new rubber ones I had gotten, which are now on my shelf. He even had a firend do a front-end alignment on it.
I recommend the Detroit Axle products. Quality stuff.
Try reving up the RPM's while sitting and see if the PS works better. Also, if the air pressure in the front tires is low it can stiffen the steering when stopped. Chap

Amazon.com: Detroit Axle Replacement for Toyota Sequoia Tundra Rack & Pinion + Outer Tie Rods - 3pc Set : Automotive

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rack could be the issue. I had sloppy steering issues and it ended up being the center clamp on the R&P unit was loose. Needed new bushings....BUT! My Rack also showed a leak, so I had gotten a new one from Detroit Axle ($260 with tie rod ends on Amazon, link below) and my son was gracious enough to install the new Rack as well as new POLY Bushings. He had the new bushings on hand and insisted they were a better choice than the new rubber ones I had gotten, which are now on my shelf. He even had a firend do a front-end alignment on it.
I recommend the Detroit Axle products. Quality stuff.
Try reving up the RPM's while sitting and see if the PS works better. Also, if the air pressure in the front tires is low it can stiffen the steering when stopped. Chap

Amazon.com: Detroit Axle Replacement for Toyota Sequoia Tundra Rack & Pinion + Outer Tie Rods - 3pc Set : Automotive
So it just all went away. Temporary blockage? I'm gonna flush it this weekend and clean the screen. Fluid is pretty dark.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts