Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 Double cab and for the last 6 months I have ran a rechargable flashlight and a LG phone charger in the two power outlets on the front passenger side. They have worked flawlessly for 6months until last week. It blew the 15a fuse for the power outlets. I replaced the fuse and plugged the charger in.... it got power for about 1/2 sec before it blew the fuse again. I did a search and I've checked all 7.5amp fuses as well as the ECU-ig (#38 i think) all of those are still visually fine. How can I get this back to normal???

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
I'm not sure why you are looking at 7.5 amp fuses when it blew the 15 amp fuse. I would replace the 15 amp fuse again and plug in things other than the charger. If that works, try pluging in the charger in another vehicle and see if it blows that fuse. If it does, the charger is bad. Good luck.:)

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Most likely the charger is bad and causing a short which is what is blowing the fuse.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the charger works perfectly in the cigerette lighter power outlet. Also I have replaced the 15amp fuse for the power outlet with another 15amp (it blew in about 1/2 sec). I was checking all other fuses that have anything to do with the power outlets when I was refering to the 7.5 fuses, all of those look fine. Help!!

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
the charger works perfectly in the cigerette lighter power outlet. Also I have replaced the 15amp fuse for the power outlet with another 15amp (it blew in about 1/2 sec). I was checking all other fuses that have anything to do with the power outlets when I was refering to the 7.5 fuses, all of those look fine. Help!!
Sounds like too much draw on the additional sockets for some reason. Odd but it does happen.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
What amp fuse is the cigerette lighter fuse? Will other items work in the 15 amp outlet that was blown previously? Does the charger have a rating on it showing what it should pull?:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
LG chargers blow the fuse for the auxillary power outlets. Mine did the same. The current limit for those outlets is low since 3 are sharing the same circuit.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would it help any to change the 15amp fuse up to 20 or 30 amp?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Don't go above the design amperage limit. It's 15 for a reason. I think everyone here is on the right track. If it's blowing the fuse right off the bat you have a short somewhere in the wiring. Unless you feel comfortable troubleshooting it yourself I'd call someone. If you are comfortable and you pay the subscription fee you'll have access to the wiring diagrams. Maybe the wire got pinched somewhere (stranger things have happened).

If you up the overload protection above 15 amps and you have a serious draw, you could cause yourself more problems than you have now. Good luck, I know how it feels.:cry:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts