Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, quick question.

I have a 2006 Tundra AC. I went on a trip the other day and forgot the home charger for my cell phone, and my truck won't power the power outlets with the key off. Anyone know of a way to make one of the outlets hot all the time?

I did a search in the electrical threads, but the links are old and dead.

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Registered
251 Posts
Have you tried all of the outlets. I seem to remember in my '05 that one of them was always hot but I don't recall which one it was.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
The tundra brochure states that all of the outlets power off with the truck boo

In my 2004 Taco, I tried putting in a jumper, but it only blew fuses, so I lived with that PITA "feature." I hope someone has a fixe for the tundra outlets.:confused:

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
The power outlets in my truck (not the cig lighter) stay powered for two hours after the truck is shutoff. Just plug your phone into a power outlet then turn on then off your truck and your phone will get a two hour charge.

EDIT: oops, I just noticed you have a 2006. Sorry

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 06 Tundra, the auxillary power points stay hot for 2 hours after key off, Have to remember to turn Xm off so it will update and so punk neighbor kids wont notice the glow.;)

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Ditto my outlets also stay on after I shut the truck off. I regularly leave cell phones attached to them, by mistake of course, and it's still charging when I return to the truck however I've not stayed away for more than 30 minutes or so. The other thing I've done is to buy a 400w power inverter that I keep in the back seat just in case I need plug in power. It's enough to run my 120v ac air pump so I can hook an extension cord to it and power things some distance away from my truck if I needed to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
not sure if it is true with the tundra as I am a new transplant but on my taco I had a jumper where the relay was under the hood and they stayed hot all the time. 2" of wire and 2 end connectors and it worked fine. I will dig around to see if it will work on the tundra

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I will see if the two hour thing works on mine, and of course if I could jump the relay to have it hot all the time, it would be great.

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had my '04 wiring "fixed" by Waldoch conversions for $50, now I have two always-on outlets. For $50, it was well worth saving me the hassle of a couple hours worth of messing around.

·
Registered
379 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
On my 2001 AC there are 4 plugs on the bottom of the relay, i just removed the relay and made a jumper between the two larger plugs and the outlets are powered all the time. Dont know whats different on an 06 but you might try just making a simple jumper.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
None of the three power outlets on my '06 Tundra AC stay powered when the key is shut off. Maybe a bump will bring this thread to the attention of someone who has a solution.

Thanks, Jerry

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
FstBrk4:
Unfortunately, I am unable to elaborate on this particular mod. It is not one that I did to my 2002 Tundra and, consequently, have no experience with it. Perhaps another TS member will weigh in and respond.
Regards,
Jack

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Why go through all that trouble to modify the relay? Simply remove the relay and install a jumper wire (at least 14 AWG) between the COM and NO contacts. This will bypass the relay thus keeping the outlet hot at all times.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
In looking at the schematics I found the Double Cab has a different circuit from the standard cab and AC. The Standard cab and AC are wired in such a way as that jumpering the relay will keep the power on for the accessary outlets only. The cig. lighter outlet is seperate.
The DC has a more complex circuit and have something called an IPC. I cannot tell what it does but believe it is what makes the acc outlets stay hot for two hours. I would not jumper it. I think that is why some were saying thier truck had outlets hot for two hours and others not. I think it is a feature only on the DC. Can anyone confirm this? Also, the cig lighter goes off with the truck is killed.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I just bought a $3 auxiliary outlet at Walmart and ran a wire directly from the battery into the cab. I keep the extra outlet tucked into the side pocket of the center console. (The top from a spray can of CRC fits perfectly over the open end of the outlet when its not in use.!)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts