Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at some Power Slot Rotors and Hawk Pads at Auto Anything.

I was wondering what was thought about this set up for a 2003 1st Gen Access Cab 4x4(stock wheels, tires etc)?

Is this a difficult do it yourself job?

What Hawk Pad do you recommend? (as they have 4 types listed for my truck)

Open to all comments and suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Look in the brake section of the forum as this topic has already been covered.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did, perhaps I should have stated I am looking for updated information/reviews on this setup.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
The worst part of swapping out the rotors is disconnecting the brake lines from the calipers. I would suggest that you also swap out the factory rubber lines for ss lines while you're there. Make sure that your hub surface is clean of debris and build up prior to mounting the new rotors otherwise it can cause runout. You can use a wire brush to clean them off if you need to. I'm not familiar with hawk pads apart from reading their descriptions for the different formulas. I'm using ebc's highest friction pads the yellowstuff 4000 series and they grab like hell which is what I was looking for. If you're looking for maximum braking power look for a pad compound with high friction. As for vendors I would also recommend that you look at summit racing as they carry a full line of parts.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Unless the 2003's are different than the 2005's you DON'T disconnect the brake lines from the calipers to pull the rotors. Undo the caliper bolts, hang the calipers on a wire/bungee and take the rotors off. Install is reverse. I used Brembo OEM replacement rotors and Akebono ceramic pads. In my opinion the slots are eye candy..........

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
My 06 brake lines are hard lines to the calipers and you have to disconnect them to remove the caliper for rotor replacement. The rubber flex line runs from a hard point on the control arm to a hard point on the frame and rest of the line to the caliper is steel and doesn't flex. The ebc slots and yellowstuff 4000 kevlar pads stop my truck way faster than the stock brakes ever thought about doing and are hardly eye candy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 06 brake lines are hard lines to the calipers and you have to disconnect them to remove the caliper for rotor replacement. The rubber flex line runs from a hard point on the control arm to a hard point on the frame and rest of the line to the caliper is steel and doesn't flex. The ebc slots and yellowstuff 4000 kevlar pads stop my truck way faster than the stock brakes ever thought about doing and are hardly eye candy.

If you pull the spring clip that holds the line on the knuckle assm. , you can manuver the caliper out of the way without undoing the hard line. Toyota has been using the hard line at the caliper on their 4x4 trucks as far back as the FJ40s and you ve always been able to do it this way. The line may get tweaked slightly depending on how careful you are but is easily put back into the correct position.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Puffnstuff and other, sorry but I have to disagree (with the "disconnect the hard lines") I have an '05 DC 4wd, and just , about five moths ago put on these rotors (slotted AND crossdrilled) with ceramic pad and did NOT have to remove ANY lines.....just undid the retaining pins, hung the calipers and removed the rotors and replaced the pads, pretty simple and they work great!!!! Good luck to all, expensive is not always better......CSM-H

1 - 8 of 8 Posts