Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Few things. I have been a member on here for awhile now but havnt had the chance to post. I have the same user name over to tundratalk. Seems as if i cant get any help or any questions answered over there so i figured i would try this out

First let me introduce myself! Live in good ole vermont purchased my first brand new truck. 08 DC in 2009. I love it. Truck is simply amazing. not too many mods right now. I purchased the Road armor pre runner bumper last year. not too fond of it but it works! Also i am on the local fire department. So most of my mods go unseen untill turned on! Red Lights galore. i didnt want people to be able to see them until i turned them on and so far its workin for me!

This is when i decided to get the bumper! damn people cut me off!

Painted to match the truck

It is hard to get a picture of all the lights but i think you get the point!!

Now. i have an issue. I was doing some donuts in my truck (you do the same thing its ok) And as soon as i started to drive away i noticed my power steering was not working and it is making a god awful humming sound

so this is what i see

I dont want to sound like a tard... but that is my power steering pump? right?

This view is looking in from the front right tire. The pully you are looking at is where i notice power steering fluid flying off from when it is on and someone is turning the wheel.

Any idea what this could be? my guess is the seal on the power steering pump. Buy yall' know more than me! thats why i am begging for your help! Thanks in advance and i look forward to helpin you all out when i can!

·
Registered
43 Posts
You went to full lock at high RPM, bypass valve can't relieve enough pressure. Pop goes the pump seal!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!. Another dumb question. Can i replace the pump seal? or do i need to replace the entire thing. Is there a diagram somwhere on how to replace it?

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
So just for curiosity sake, is that a department vehicle? If not, are you actually allowed to respond code in that thing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. It is a 100% volunteer Department. So in order to make it to the station the senior firefighters have lights on their POV's. You need a sciren and 360 degrees of lights for clearing intersections. I got it covered!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Also for curiosity sake, why did you mount the license plate up on the grill instead of on the new bumper? IMO, it looks kind of silly: especially at the angle it's mounted, it looks like road kill stuck on your grill. Not to mention it's blocking airflow into your radiator and engine compartment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
because the winch is in that spot where the license plate go's now. and vt law states you need a plate on the front and back. The holes that are on the bumper are too large to screw a license plate in it and you cant drill or change the license plate in any way

·
Registered
415 Posts
because the winch is in that spot where the license plate go's now. and vt law states you need a plate on the front and back. The holes that are on the bumper are too large to screw a license plate in it and you cant drill or change the license plate in any way
I can't see a winch in your photos. Is it behind the rectangular cut-out?

As far as the mounting holes, you don't need to modify the license plate; there are many ways to mount the license plate to your new bumper without modifying the license plate and even without modifying your bumper. For example, you can simply make a support backing-plate or bracket. Attach the backing-plate or bracket to the bumper and then attach the license plate to the backing-plate or bracket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now thats what you call thinking outside the box! haha

The winch was on order when i put my plate up there. It is installed now. I am going to be moving my plate and covering the winch with a hinge so it covers it from salt etc.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I am going to be moving my plate and covering the winch with a hinge so it covers it from salt etc.
If I understand you correctly, you're going to mount the license plate in front of the winch on a hinged plate so it doubles as a cover, correct? Sounds like a good plan. Show us some pics when you're finished. :)

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Thanks guys!. Another dumb question. Can i replace the pump seal? or do i need to replace the entire thing. Is there a diagram somwhere on how to replace it?
Yes, the seal can be replaced as long as you don't have damage to the actual pump. (I assume it's still leaking)
When it's full of fluid, does it function properly with no abnormal noise? If so, just have the seal replaced. A special puller is required to remove the pulley in order to replace the seal. You also need an installer to press it back on. If you still have warranty, let Toyota do it. They might even throw an entire new pump at it. Just play dumb when you take it in. :D

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
The reservoir still has fluid, so I would not count on the pump being in very good shape. It will be best to replace it... and make sure the old fluid is thoroughly flushed from the system. I recommend refilling with a good synthetic fluid like Redline. Keep an eye on the rack, too, it experienced the same pressure and bad fluid.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I recommend refilling with a good synthetic fluid like Redline.
Brian, I remember reading in another "donuts = blown PS" thread that you recommended replacing the PS fluid with Redline. Questions for you please:

1. Specifically, which Redline product? Would it be their Power Steering Fluid, or one of their ATFs?

2. Would you recommend upgrading to Redline on a new PS system that has not (and will not) be abused? By "not be abused", I mean no donuts, no racing, and only mild offroad driving (no rock crawling).

3. Would switching to the Redline have any ramifications on the vehicle's warranty?

4. What is the proper procedure to flush out the factory fluid and replace with Redline? (Perhaps this should be a new thread with photos! :D)

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, the seal can be replaced as long as you don't have damage to the actual pump. (I assume it's still leaking)
When it's full of fluid, does it function properly with no abnormal noise? If so, just have the seal replaced. A special puller is required to remove the pulley in order to replace the seal. You also need an installer to press it back on. If you still have warranty, let Toyota do it. They might even throw an entire new pump at it. Just play dumb when you take it in. :D
It is still leaking. It waked the "whining" noise when i turn and if i try and make tight turns it feels asif i have no power steering. Thanks for the help guys

1 - 18 of 18 Posts