Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have there's start leaking?

Mine just started leaking 1k past warranty, and because I do my own oil changes, the dealers not gonna cut me any kind of break.

they want $698 just for the hose.

Does anyone know how many hours it takes for the dealership to change the hose? I want to know what kind of money I'm looking at to get this done at the dealership.

·
Banned
444 Posts
find you a different dealer. If they want to nit-pick about 1k miles screw them. Another dealer may even warranty it. If not, go to good auto parts store, And change it your self.

Should take about a hour, usually.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've talked to two dealerships, and both said the same thing about warranty.

I've also spent a fair bit of time online looking for a new hose, and could only find power steering pumps, or the low pressure hose. Not the high pressure side for a 07+ tundra.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
toyotapartscheap.com look under steering then pumps and hoses and u can see some pressure hoses listed...something strange though, only saw 4.0 and 4.7 no 5.7...but at any rate, it gives u an idea for pricing....email sparks on here and see what they say...they will have the best price anywhere around...autozone doesnt seem to show anything otehr than a universal hose but might want to check with them......

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
If you are unsucessful in getting Toyota to cover this, you should look into rebuilding the stock hose. The ends and steel sections need to be in good shape. A good shop that deals with hydraulic hoses could crimp new hose into it for significantly less money. Refill the system with a good synthetic PS fluid.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Are you sure it isn't an o-ring from a metal line on the front side of the rack and pinion that's leaking?

Here's some pictures of what I'm talking about. This vehicle was a 4.6L 2010 model with 20k miles.

What I'm describing is easily seen by looking under the front of your vehicle. It's directly underneath the crankshaft pulley (For those who can't identify the pulley.. It's the lowest, and most centralized pulley on the engine)

You can see the clean section of rack and pinion leads you up to that p/s line. there's an o-ring which seals it. It was leaking pretty bad.. Either a bad o-ring, or poor installation of the o-ring was the cause. :doh:

And a zoomed out photo.. For perspective.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
definatly not a o-ring, especially compared to those pics.

Only a small portion of the hose is soaked with oil. Nothing above or around it.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
go to a hose place and see if they can make you one.
If you are unsucessful in getting Toyota to cover this, you should look into rebuilding the stock hose. The ends and steel sections need to be in good shape. A good shop that deals with hydraulic hoses could crimp new hose into it for significantly less money. Refill the system with a good synthetic PS fluid.
+1 :tu:
We used to have them rebuilt all the time. Any shop that repairs hydraulic hoses (like a tractor repair place) will be able to do it for you. Some parts stores, especially in rural areas, are able to do it. (farmers need hydraulic hoses rebuilt all the time)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts