Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tundra leaking return line 2000 - 2005?
If you run up against a leaky power steering return line and do not want to spend the $320+ (aftermarket) or $410+ (Toyota) for a new set of hoses, which you cannot get just the return, you can replace the end of the return line. The biggest pain is the return thread is a 17MM. Some auto part stores will tell you all are 16mm or 18mm - WRONG! This is not the best looking fix but works well....
Here is what you need...
1 - Gates 349770 or PartsMaster 39139. This is a 17MM to 3/8 with a 90 degree bend.
3 1/2' 3/8 line. BE SURE YOU GET THE CORRECT LINE. (omega power steering return hose P/N 30903)
2 or 4 good clamps (I used 3/8" fuel injection line clamps)
Simply (or not so) cut the remove the leaking line and replace back to the connection point of the existing flex. I ended up cutting the line flush with the nut and using a 2' breaker bar to get it loose.
Install one end onto the 349770 and clamp. you will want the hose to go to the left of the pressure line. Tighten into rack. Its a tight fit but it will go.
Use some good ties to hold the line up and out of the way of the front drive shaft.
Connect the other end and done! total cost ~ $22 and 1 hour of time (if you take your time).
Worked fine on my '00 but believe it will work on up to '05. BTW the OD on the threads is ~.655".
Hope this helps you out

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Thanks for the tip, sounds like a workable repair for an awful expensive (and more time consuming) OEM part. I hope I don't need the info but up here in the Rusty Northeast I bet I will eventually! Scott

·
Registered
135 Posts
Glad I found this old post! The return line was leaking on my '03 tundra at the rack. Not wanting to pay $500+ I tried this and it worked great. It's a tight fit,you do need a 11/16" flare wrench. Now what to do about all the rust I saw while under my truck!:sad3d:

·
Registered
4 Posts
That line started leaking on my '02 Tundra a couple months ago and this tip worked great! Also, I figured out NAPA carries the 17 mm elbow shaped return fitting required. Part# NPS 73504. Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts