Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am old enough to remember when power steering really worked. Is their any kit or upgrade that can make steering easy again?

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Are you trying to say your steering is more stiff than it used to be?

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Yes, I remember those days too, but do you also remember you could yank the wheel back and forth and it wouldnt really move the car much? I could be totally wrong but I think much of that is intentional. It gives a more sporty or responsive feel and not so soft and mushy. Something like a Sienna has that softer feel but sports cars and even most trucks have that stiffer feeling. Again a guess but I dont know that you can change that unless you somehow changed the power steering pump or could re valve the rack. Probably a ton of money just to get that feeling back.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Yeah the current systems are to give you more feedback hence safer, but there are times I'd prefer the old effortless power steering. I suppose the best is what some manufacturers have is variable power and ratio systems that make parking speeds fast and easy, then highway speeds are slow and harder. I believe BMW does a good job at that, but not Toyota that I know of.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Reduce the caster settings on your next alignment. Caster has to do with how far forward the wheel hub is from the top of the suspension. A very positive caster is like the front wheel on a Harley with ape bars. Negative caster is like the front wheel on a shopping cart. As caster increases, so too does stability and the effort required to turn the wheels when stationary or at slow speeds. It can will also increase turning radius. Decreasing the caster will make turning more responsive and easier, but it can also lead to instability (think about that wobbly front wheel on that shopping cart).

First year gen 2 Tundys (2007) had factory caster settings at +1.25° nominal, +/-0.50°. So technically, the caster could be as high as +1.75° or as low as +0.75°. The F-150 for the same model year was +4.3°. Toyota had specified a nominal value more inline with a car than a full-sized truck. Those of us with caster near the top end of the +1.75° range had smooth-as-butter rides. Those with something less felt wobble and shimmy. So tread carefully when it comes to decreasing caster...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts