Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Seems like a nice idea if you really need it (bad back or other medical reasons) but their increased MPG and HP claims are total crap.

It's been proven many times that the tailgate needs to be UP/CLOSED in order for the truck to get the best possible MPG at all speeds.

The only times I have seen a truck have "increased" HP with the tailgate open or totally removed, is when the owner is doing 1/4 miles at a drag strip and even then it's only a decrease in tenths of a second on their time.

As far as it acting as a spoiler, I'm guessing you would have to be going pretty darn fast in order for it to show any affectiveness, if any at all. So their claim of increasing rear wheel traction in slippery or windy situations in false because you would most likely be going slow in those situations.

JMHO

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
I Had A Power Tailgate On My Tundra.. Had A Switch In The Truck To Lower It And Raise It. If Your Looking For Mpg Gains Thats Not The Answer.. I Would Spend The Money On A Intake System Or A Drop In Filter.. I Had A Tecoma Before The Tundra And I Had A Lift And The Big Tires I Ran With No Tailgate And I Seen A Big Improvment In Millage When I Put Exhaust And A Intake On It. It Was A 6cyl Though And The Tundra Is A V8 I Put A Intake And Exhaust On It And It Has Helped Out Alot. Went From 12 In Town To 17mpg.. And 18 On Hwy To 27 On Hwy. If You Are Getting The Power Tailgate So You Don't Have To Lift To Close It. Well Its Slow And Takes A Good 45 Seconds To Close And If A Power Ram Goes Bad, You Have To Buy The Whole Kit Again.
I'm callin BS on this one man.

There's no way you got 27 mpg on the hwy in the 3.4L tacoma after exhaust and intake mods. I went from about 17mpg hwy to 18.5 mpg hwy when I redid both of mine (K&N FIPK and Magnaflow Magnapak) ....and I drive a stick which tend to get better mileage that autos. I milk the gears as much as possible in town and on the interstate, and I couldn't fathom getting 27, and I live in thecountry, so it's rural roads and interstate for me most of the time. Oh and also my truck is a 4x4 TRD Xtracab, and it's not lifted (stock 4x4 height)...the lift on your truck would decrease the MPG that much more due to increased drag.

I don't want to be a thread hi-jacker, so to answer the original question...Egg, unless you had a medical need for it, as SamUnit said, I'd pass. There's no real benefit, and it's just one more thing that can break. To be honest, if I saw someone using one of those in the parking lot, I would laugh and consider it some sort of yuppie bling...JMHO:)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I Had A Power Tailgate On My Tundra.. Had A Switch In The Truck To Lower It And Raise It. If Your Looking For Mpg Gains Thats Not The Answer.. I Would Spend The Money On A Intake System Or A Drop In Filter.. I Had A Tecoma Before The Tundra And I Had A Lift And The Big Tires I Ran With No Tailgate And I Seen A Big Improvment In Millage When I Put Exhaust And A Intake On It. It Was A 6cyl Though And The Tundra Is A V8 I Put A Intake And Exhaust On It And It Has Helped Out Alot. Went From 12 In Town To 17mpg.. And 18 On Hwy To 27 On Hwy. If You Are Getting The Power Tailgate So You Don't Have To Lift To Close It. Well Its Slow And Takes A Good 45 Seconds To Close And If A Power Ram Goes Bad, You Have To Buy The Whole Kit Again.
BS

There is no way a V8 Tundra of any configuration is going to get 27mpg on the highway.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
BS

There is no way a V8 Tundra of any configuration is going to get 27mpg on the highway.
:)He was referring to the mileage in his V6 tacoma:):)

...still a bunch of BS though, I would be a rich man if it were the case

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Look at the OP location, same as shirley cooke.:rolleyes: This joker needs to get a life.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I smell me some troll....post the pic Woody!

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
This has to be the silliest mod I have seen in a long while, and this is coming from a guy that just installed a 150-decibel, 5-trumpet, 30 lb. train horn. ;)

Why on earth would anyone need a power-assist tailgate? If you have a physical disability then you would probably want a power lift, not a power tailgate. I highly doubt their claims of MPG improvement and rear spoiler effect and they offer no scientific proof to back these claims up.

It also looks stupid to ride with the tailgate partially open and it could be dangerous. Can you imagine the number of people trying to signal you to tell you that your gate is open? Next thing you know they will be marketing a flap / aileron kit to assist you with the turns... :sleep:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
It also looks stupid to ride with the tailgate partially open and it could be dangerous. Can you imagine the number of people trying to signal you to tell you that your gate is open? Next thing you know they will be marketing a flap / aileron kit to assist you with the turns... :sleep:

Just FYI, the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon have tailgates that lock at a 45 degree angle so that sheets of 4x8 plywood will lie flat on the wheelwells.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts