Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and couldn't find anything about this particular problem.

I just replaced my 2006 CrewCab 4x4 XSP Tundra's front brake pads and rotors. I went with the Cryo Powerslot and the Hawk SD pads to try to increase the performance of the front brakes.

Everything went smoothly, easiest brake job I have ever done. Except I do not like the retaining pins on the pins holding the pads. They do not seem to secure. But anyway.

So now, after about 500 miles, I get a shudder when I brake. Not like rotor warpage at all. But more like I'm running over the rumble strips on the side of a highway. The shutter comes in about 15 mph and stops when the truck finally stops.

I've rechecked the pins and the caliper bolts and all seems fine.

Could I just be feeling the pads rub up against the slots in the Powerslot rotors?

I appreciate any input.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Did you follow the break in instructions for the rotors and pads?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did forget to mention that I followed the procedure for bedding. I took it out with a couple *almost* stops from 30mph, let the brakes cool down a bit, then form 40, then from 50. Took about 20 minutes.

But there's no noise or anything, just what feels like rolling over heavily grooved pavement. I can live with it, but since I did the job myself, I'd just really love to know what I did wrong.

I keep going back over the process in my head, but really, a disc brake job is fairly simple. There's not much to screw up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mungo,
New user here, I just replaced front pads and turned the rotors on my 2005 ,4d, limited, 4x4, I have about 75 miles and I get a pipple effect also, one thing I did not do is install new shims on the pads, now I am getting a slight skeaky noise from the front, much like the wear senor on the pad. I also used a NAPA brand of ceramic pad that meet OE specs.

Any ideas on the skeaky sound?

GB

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With 75 miles, I'd give it a bit more before worrying about the squeal.

If you don't bed in the pads to the rotors a surface develops that can facilitate a squeal.

In addidition, I try to make certain there is a good coat of Disc Brake Quiet on the back of the pads when I install them.

Like you, I reused the shims. I cleaned them up with brake cleaner and they looked like new.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I did forget to mention that I followed the procedure for bedding. I took it out with a couple *almost* stops from 30mph, let the brakes cool down a bit, then form 40, then from 50. Took about 20 minutes.

But there's no noise or anything, just what feels like rolling over heavily grooved pavement. I can live with it, but since I did the job myself, I'd just really love to know what I did wrong.

I keep going back over the process in my head, but really, a disc brake job is fairly simple. There's not much to screw up.
Well ebc bedding instructions say 5 60-20 max braking slowdowns to bed the pads so you might want to try that for your hardware. You didn't put enough heat/stress on them to properly bed them. Also did you check to make sure the rotors are completely seated on the hub?

·
Registered
227 Posts
HAWK pads have a coating on them that helps break in the pads. This coating has very weird and aggressive braking characteristics, if you followed the break in procedure this should have worn off by now. Were the rotors clean when installed? I doubt he already hot-spotted the cyro rotors. I sell those things all the time to H1 and HD truck owners who drag them heavily, with no overheating problems.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Double check to ensure that the pads are seated properly. My new rotors came labeled left and right, you sure yours are on correctly? Check the pins to ensure they havent worked back out. caliper bolts tight?

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Try to re-burnish the pads. Were the wheels torqued on with a wrench or by hand? Over torquing the wheels can lead to brake rotor vibration.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts