Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some recomendations, I was thinking of installing a Powertrax no-slip on my 4wd Tundra, however I plan on doing alot of snow driving this year. Is this a bad idea? Or will 4wd in conjunction with the Powertrax no-slip be beneficial. Don't have any experience with lockers so any input would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
395 Posts
In my experience the Powertrax has been awesome in the snow! :tu: The extra traction you get from havingtwo wheels driving(2wd) or 3 wheels driving (4wd with an open front dif) IMHO far outweighs the potential handling issues of rear end swing out. Actually, I prefer the Ptrax with this issue as well because you can pretty much guarantee witha fairly decent degree of certainty that you CAN cause the rear end to get away from you with the Powertrax...it becomes a constant value under slick conditions....it also gives you the control once you understand it...

go for the system. It works. Many here have installed it and can testify. Should do you wonders in the snow provided you know how to drive in the snow...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Help me out fellas, what would be the correct way to drive with a locker on icy, snowy roads? How do I compensate even though I'll have it in 4wd?

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
youll get used to it. i suppose you'd really only be in trouble if you had both ends locked, and were running a blower as well...then you could probably spin everything all the time...

stay off the gas when you're going around sharp turns until youre familiar with the way it'll act.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, think I'm going to bite the bullet and get it. Advantages seem to out way the cons. Let you guys know how it goes up in mammoth.

·
Registered
326 Posts
eapthien said:
Thanks for the advice guys, think I'm going to bite the bullet and get it. Advantages seem to out way the cons. Let you guys know how it goes up in mammoth.

I will say this, make NO sudden changes in accell, or decell in a turn, I had one in my old truck, and loved it, but it does take some getting used to. If your no carefull, you will spin the thing around, for the average person, the LSD is the better choice, but not the cheaper choice.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Had the LSD installed in my truck over the summer and just experienced what it does for snow traction. It's definitely a worthwhile modification. No more one tire spinning and going nowhere. It is a little tricky when turning corners and giving it the gas if you try and get on it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So would a locker like a no-slip powertrax be a plus or a disadvantage in snow? Or would that depend on knowing it's characteristics and how to use it in those conditions? This might sound a little silly but if you were caught in a blizzard with the road completely covered in snow and ice would you want to have an automatic locker with 4wd or a 4wd with an open differential? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well a locker may not be as hard to get used to while in 4WD. I had one in a 2WD S-10..... Like I said it's different, an lsd is always engauged it just slips alil, and locker is either locked, or unlocked, it's just different, and take some getting ised too. It is deffinatly the cheaper way to get both real wheels to spin.

·
Registered
21 Posts
With locker, you want to know that you are going very straight on a boat launch or the surface is slippery and will allow a wheel to slip before damage. Not for road unless fully slippery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts