Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if a powertrax no slip will fit in my 2wd 06 tundra that has the factory LSD rear end. After reading about lockers and spending 30 minutes the other day trying to get my truck unstuck out of the mud (in my own front yard on totally flat ground) I think lockers are the way to go. If not what other options would you guys recommend? Just wanted to do some research because I was thinking of going with some coilovers and UCA but I felt weak enough getting stuck on flat ground with a stock truck, but getting stuck on flat ground after spending 1500 on suspension upgrades would really make me feel bad, so I wanted to look at lockers first. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so i just learned from powertrax that there no slip would not fit my LSD rear end. Do you guys have any more suggestions that might work, or what would I have to do to make the powertrax fit (if its worth doing)? thanks

·
Registered
756 Posts
If both wheels were spinning with your lsd a locker wouldn't help anyway. 4x4 is the only option. Once your rears are spinning while your stuck it's over. Put some weight in the rear and M/T tires. Keep a jack handy, and buy a winch. Good luck...

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
The only reason why they say it doesn't fit is because the Powertrax is meant to be installed in a stock open carrier. With the LSD, it completely replaces the open carrier. At this point, if you want to replace the LSD unit for something better, the only option is either a Detroit locker or Detroit Truetrac or ARB air locker. Otherwise, you need an open carrier, remove the spider gears within the carrier and install the Powertrax.

If you want I can provide a pic of what I'm talking about.

I have an open carrier sitting in my garage but, it does not have the spider gears or bearings installed.

Best thing to do if you want the Powertrax, is swap out your rear third member with the LSD for someone that wants to trade their third member with a powertrax already installed.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
If you don't go 4-wheelin that often, a locker wouldn't be worth it. Tires often make the difference betwwen getting stuck and not getting stuck. Two weeks ago I got stuck in about 12" of packed snow and it took an F350 dually 4x4 to get me out. Two Tacomas tried but were unsuccessful. Anyway, if I had a good set of mud tires I might have gotten out by myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts