Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone experiencing premature tire wear due to a leveling kit/bigger tires?

I had my wheels/tires/alignment all done the same day...4/26. I know the importance of an alignment immediately after new wheels/tires, so I went straight from Discount Tire to NTB..about 2 miles apart. NTB did the alignment and had the toe way off, according to a more experienced NTB store. I had no idea, as NTB1 never bothered to show me a printout of the alignment specs. Also according to the 2nd NTB store, incorrect toe has the biggest impact on premature tire wear. After alignment at the 1st store, I couldn't help but notice the angle was off, which is what led me to get a 2nd opinion. At the 2nd store (NTB2), they invited me to run my hand along the outside tread of my tires in a forward direction....felt smooth, linear. Then the tech says to run my hand in the opposite (rearward) direction...felt choppy, uneven....after only 2 weeks! I go back to NTB1 to let them know they screwed up the alignment. The techs there were already blaming it on their less advanced alignment equipment. The manager, who can't be over 22 years of age, says he'll contact the area store manager and inform him of the issue. I get a call about an hour later from the NTB1 mgr saying that he spoke with Tim Hall (Area Mgr) and that he's willing to refund the price of my alignment. WTF!
My front tires are ruined, you EFFING IDIOT! I advised that he best to have Tim call me directly instead of throwing me a bone through you!

Spoke with Tim this morning and of course he goes on to boast that he worked for 4 Wheel Parts for 10 years and that these trucks simply aren't meant to have leveling/lift kits and bigger wheels/tires. That's not the issue here! The issue is that incorrect toe....is incorrect toe, regardless of a leveling kit. He's already trying to weasel his way out of covering the price of new front tires, which I feel is fair since my rear tires are fine, and either NTB1's lack of experienced techs or outdated equipment is the cause of premature tire wear after only 500 miles of driving....NOT A LEVELING KIT or BIGGER WHEELS/TIRES!

So again, my question is whether or not anyone else is experiencing tire wear specifically due to a leveling kit/bigger tires and wheels? A 3/1 is certainly nothing radical and neither are the wheels/tires, which are of pretty much the same rolling geometry as OEM. I have 20x8.5 Rockstars and 305/55-20 Terra Grapps.

I have to meet face to face with this Tim Hall jerk tomorrow morning and would like some feedback...

Thanks for reading the short novel

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Man I hope you get everything figured out.

I think mine are good, but my tires have always cupped, but not bad enough that they'll throw off when I switch my tires out.

I'll grab some measurements of my tread depth on all four corners before I put 900 miles on my truck tomorrow, then post up in the evening or Saturday morning.

-rockstate

·
Registered
422 Posts
wow - stick to your guns man - it has nothing to do with the lift - if they did not give you the service your paid for, and it resulted in pre-mature wear - they should fix it. that means new tires in my book. Shoot - all they would do is warranty the old tires anyway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would try to get your alignment right at the same time as insisting they be responsible 4 your tires. Mine was within spec, but was still wearing outside edge with a 3/1 lift/level and after 3 different shops trying to mess with it and never being able to get it to wear better because the stock adjustments were maxed out, I gave in and got the adjustable upper control arms and it finally is within spec and not getting bad wear on the outside edge of the tires. My buddy has a 2.4" front level and the outer edge of his are wearing a bit heavy as well and he has had it re aligned twice. These trucks seem to be tough to get well aligned with a level kit from my experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts