Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend was surprised when i told i put regular gas in my sequoia. even after i told him that was required by the manual, he kept telling that it will do harm to my new car. i never heard that good maintenance is putting premium gas to your vehicle. i thought it is nothing to do with it, am i right?

also he said "you shouldn't put all this crap in your gas tank" but i thought the difference between regular or premium is not puerility, they actually put more stuff in premium to reinforece the performance, please educate me and my frined.

·
Registered
367 Posts
GAs

The required octane rating is determined by the manufacturer. If the engine was designed for regular unleaded then that's what you should use. Using a higher octane will not give you any benefit whatsoever and will accomplish nothing exept draining your wallet. On the other hand if the manufacturer requires the use of super than you should also abide by it. The Pathfinder I just traded in recommended it and that's what I used. Folks who tried regular unleaded in their Pathfinders found that their mileage actually dropped!

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I too was told to stick with what the manufacturer recommends. I used Regular Unleaded for my 2001 SEQ and will use the same in my 2003 SEQ. However, I was told that if you decide to put the TRD supercharger in your SEQ, then you should use the Premium Unleaded.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You're right, man.

The computers in today's vehicles compensate for most anything, assuming that they are running on the information that's plugged into them. In your case, it's regular unleaded octane gas. Your computer will try compensate for the way the fuel is igniting/exploding and will actually decrease the performance as the engine is not able to compensate correctly.

Save your money and inform your friend.

Cars of old -- yeah, higher octane would boost performance, but really only if the engine was dirty/carbonized or you adjusted the timing.

CJ

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Franz said:
I was told that if you decide to put the TRD supercharger in your SEQ, then you should use the Premium Unleaded.
correct! TRD states that premium should be used in order to maintain it's warranty! btw, 87 here as well!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts