Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seven long years of trouble free use I have my first problem. My ABS light came on. First problem in seven years.. I cant complain too much.

A local shop (not dealer) hooked up a scanner and told me I needed a $200 wheel speed sensor on the front driver side wheel. I passed...

After turning one 10mm bolt I pulled the sensor and cleaned the grease and metal shaving off of it and reinstalled. No ABS light for a few days, but it reared its ugly head again. So I pulled the dust cover on the back of the wheel assembly to take a look see. The speed sensor ring is caked with grease and some brake dust, but apears in good shape. Again, I clean the sensor and the light goes off.

Now the light comes on sometimes and sometimes it doesnt. Hard breaking, weather, or distance traveled does not seem to make difference. Its just hit or miss.

Whats your opinion here. Can the $200 sensor be going out and work sometimes and not others. Is there something else going on here causing the groves in the ring to get full of crud and causing false readings? Am I just way off and in over head and need to just break down and take it to the dealer?

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
Does the same code keep coming back? there are 4 speed sensors.

You need to OHM test the speed sensor
You need to use and oscilloscope and check voltage output of the speed sensor.
You need to check the wheel bearing, if it is loose, it can cause an erratic reading and kick on the ABS light.
You need to OHM test the wires from the sensor all the way to the ECU.

Yes, a sensor can work and then stop intermitantly, but I would check all my free options before buying a ($200?) part.

WHAT CODE WAS IT THEY TOLD YOU?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its hit or miss. Wont see the ABS light for a few days, then it lights up.

They did not provide the actual code, just told me which wheel sensor was causing the problem.

Thanks for the reply and information. I'll see if I cant get a reading off the sensor before I do anything else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts