Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted a bumper for the tundra. Didn't want to spend a lot of money. Don't like any of the aftermarket bumpers out there anyway. Living in southern CA, I derb in either the mountains or the desert. So I built a truck that's part crawler (front/rear lockers, sliders, etc) and part prerunner (mid-travel suspension). So I built the bumper the same way.

Built this one for about $250 for all the steel and al. 9500# Smitty winch was another $450. Fleabay lights were $38 for the pair. Already had the light bar.

While I was at it, I finally got around to finishing the grill. Turned out pretty nice.

A lot of mods required to make this work, but in the end I'm happy with how it turned out. Still need to reinforce the winch fairlead on the inside. I have a plan for that though. I'll throw some pics up when that's done. Already thinking up a design for the rear bumper now...

If there is enough interest, I'll post the build pics too. Lemme know. :D

IMG_0660.jpg IMG_0662.jpg IMG_0665.jpg IMG_0667.jpg IMG_0668.jpg IMG_0670.jpg IMG_0672.jpg IMG_0674.jpg IMG_0676.jpg IMG_0677.jpg

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Looks good, nice job. Glad to see you're still at it.
Now, has your girlfriends sister become single yet?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Vey nice! I like the design. 2 observations though.

1) Does that aluminum plate block much airflow to the radiator?
2) Is there another location for the shock reservoirs? They look a little exposed there.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good, nice job. Glad to see you're still at it.
Now, has your girlfriends sister become single yet?
Hahaha, no unfortunately she's still married :angrywife:. No worries though, you'll be the first to know when that changes.

Vey nice! I like the design. 2 observations though.

1) Does that aluminum plate block much airflow to the radiator?
2) Is there another location for the shock reservoirs? They look a little exposed there.
1. The plate doesn't block any more air than the stock bumper. The majority of the airflow occurs through the top half, which actually has more airflow due to the modified grill. I think.
2. Yeah, they do stick out a bit. They're nearly flush with the skidplate now, which I don't really like. They were mounted lower, on the tow brackets but I put a tube across there to protect the radiator and for a lower mounting point for the skidplate. So I had to move them. I cut the brackets apart and welded them to that location on the frame. There really aren't a lot of options unless I extend the hoses. We'll see how they do here. If I notice them hitting, I'll extend the hoses and move them. They could probably use a revalve anyway.

I did notice the front sagged a little after finishing up the bumper. I figure there's probably 150 lbs up there now. I'll have to crank the coilovers up a little to even it out.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Good to hear! I relocated mine, interesting to learn Fox made an upgraded model with adjustable damping and a 90* fitting on the reservoirs... much like what I did to relocate mine.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts