Toyota Tundra Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
No denying that, and FWIW I agree with the need to prevent personal bankruptcy due to a simple illness and the greed of medical professionals and drug cartels. I understand some of the Americans allergic reaction to Obamas reforms, but others simply illustrate that Senator McCarthy remains alive and well in 2009. :gossip:

controlling safe drugs acceptable to the public.

U.S. Food and Drug Act (FDA), to weed out the snake oil salesman that were harming the American people's health.

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
...but others simply illustrate that Senator McCarthy remains alive and well in 2009.
Senator McCarthy is one of the predominate "Chicken Littles" I've learned about through the news media in my lifetime.

I have no doubt there have been many other "Chicken Littles" throughout the world in every time period of mankinds' existence.

Stuball

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
stuball,

I believe that many, if not most, of the the personal bankruptcies in the US are from medical expenses. And this does not include those who just do not pay medical bills and never file.

SOS

·
Admin from Hell
13,116 Posts
Salty; the wife and I both think Amtrak is a great way to travel the U.S. In fact we took Amtrak from Washington State to South Carolina to pick up my new Tundra. Government builds and maintains highways for the public to use. Why not rent some rails to run their trains on for the public too? Both Amtrak and highways are money pits for the taxpayers.

Stuball
Amtrak is a great way to travel; true enough. But the problem with Amtrak is a cost vs. benefits thing. Amtrak has NEVER returned a profit and has run at a deficit since its inception in 1971.

The problem with building a passenger railroad network in the U.S. is that it would require a humongous capital investment. Most of the existing railroad lines are private corporation-owned and were designed for freight traffic. Passenger trains can travel at much higher speeds than freight trains, but since they must share the rails with freight traffic (and the railroad companies give priority to their own trains) and cannot always safely negotiate the sharper curves designed for lower speed freight traffic their full potential is limited. Amtrak and local commuter lines already pay a fee to use freight lines for their trains. Only a few hundred miles between Washington DC and Boston MA are actually owned by Amtrak, and these lines are so old that even they cannot accommodate the speeds the new Acela high-speed trains are capable of.

So a whole network of passenger only railroads would have to be built. And since private automobiles are so deeply ingrained into the American culture and compared to the rest of the world the price of gasoline is relatively inexpensive, it would be difficult to secure funding at taxpayers' expense to build such a network.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Social Security: Government program, problematic in that it is consistently bringing in less money than it puts out. Due to be insolvent in the relatively near future. A money pit for the taxpayers.
Social Security is a classic example of a Ponzi Scheme. Current investors are paying for previous investors investments. The 1983 SS reform under Greenspan & Reagan is basically going to lead to the ultimate bankruptcy of our country. Basically, all of the assumptions made at the time when the taxes were increased were very optimistic. Furthermore, there is a lot of "left-pocket, right-pocket" kind of money shifting that lands businessmen in the private sector in jail. Basically, FICA taxes went into the treasury dept with the promise that it would earn interest, but interest in what? Then, when it comes time for redistributions, the treasury dept pays back the US Gov't internal IOU by selling bonds to external investors. That means, that the national debt is going to continuously increase to meet the promised entitlements.

As of later this year or next year, the treasury dept is going to have to start increasing the national debt to make the promised entitlements. Furthermore, the amount of people paying in to SS for each beneficiary is dropping daily. As a 35 year-old, I can see that I will probably see a doubling or more of SS taxes to keep the system solvent. Hence why I keep telling everyone I know to keep pestering everyone they know to cancel Social Security immediately.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
As far as I have seen, illegals have been getting free healthcare for quite a while now. I'm pretty sure that hospitals can't turn away people.
True that! My point was simply we've been hearing about how 50mil are without coverage, but in his speech he stated 30mil. Which seems to me he at least used the ACCURATE (US Citizen) number. And for that matter, basically admitted to 20mil illegals, not the 12mil commonly quoted by the left.

--SOS stated:
I believe that many, if not most, of the the personal bankruptcies in the US are from medical expenses. And this does not include those who just do not pay medical bills and never file.
SOS------
Easy to find the real number. FactCheck.org: What is the percentage of total personal bankruptcies caused by health care bills?

While I have learned a lot from our Canadian friends, it still baffles me how they conveniently overlook the fact that even Obama is NOT proposing single payer health coverage like you have up north. He is proposing a public option(first step toward single payer, for sure). It is this simple fact has many Americans upset. Obama IS LYING, just like was said during his speech. He is taking the step toward single payer by telling us that it won't affect us if we have insurance we like. But it will, the only question is how long will it take.

/Mike

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
How can Americans trust a word he says when he continues to blurt out such blatant lies. He reiterated his claim that his plan wouldn't add one dime to the deficit, yet Congress' own numbers show hundred of billions of dollars in deficit spending with this program. Even the press had to call him a liar on that one. We can add those dollars to the 9 trillion he's already projected to run up during his presidency.

I hope America wakes up and realizes that they didn't vote for, or get, change. They got another slick politician who sweet talked his way into her panties. Same BS, different group of people pocketing the money.

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
Thanks for posting the link. I think it is great.:tu::tu::tu:

While I have learned a lot from our Canadian friends, it still baffles me how they conveniently overlook the fact that even Obama is NOT proposing single payer health coverage like you have up north. He is proposing a public option(first step toward single payer, for sure). It is this simple fact has many Americans upset. Obama IS LYING, just like was said during his speech. He is taking the step toward single payer by telling us that it won't affect us if we have insurance we like. But it will, the only question is how long will it take.
I can assure you that there is no need for you to be baffled by thinking that Canadians "conveniently overlook" Obama's plan to not implement single payer at this time. In light of the opposition's influence, it may be a better plan to let the public test the waters to feel the system out rather than pushing them in. Besides, it would allow the opportunity for all the multi-million dollar salary CEOs of these health insurance companies to find time to get another job in which they might have to actually work this time around.

Stuball

41 - 49 of 49 Posts