Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help from my fellow Tundra owners. I have a 2008 CM 4x4 5.7L with about 37K miles. I am experiencing a problem that I think is transmission related. When going up a fairly substantial incline going about 15-20 mph, when decelerating from 20 down to about 3 or 4 mph while on the incline and while still giving it some gas slightly so it is decelerating slowly, the truck suddenly jerks like somebody ran into the back of the truck. I have had it into the dealership, and so far they have replaced the driveshaft, without any luck in fixing it. Now I’ve been getting the runaround by the dealership and corporate case workers without any solution foreseeable in the near future. I would like to see if any of the other TS members have this problem, if they have gotten it resolved, or if some folks maybe are not even aware that they have this problem but after testing it you may find that you have this problem too. So to test it, accelerate up a hill so you are going about 15 mph, let off the gas pedal but not entirely, let the truck decelerate to about 3 mph while still giving it some gas. See if you experience the truck jerking sensation, if you have the problem you will know it immediately. It is easy to duplicate for the dealership, and they cannot deny it is a problem. Thanks, and please provide feedback here in this thread.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I knwo what you're talking about. Mine has it as well...

Mine also exhibits another one where if I'm going about 35-40 and going up a hill, the torque converter (maybet ransmission) doesn't know what to do.

I think it's just a characteristic of these transmissions.

-rockstate

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
hill? whats a hill? :)

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Mine will do something similar under the right conditions. I have always thought that it downshifted from third directly to first gear.

Barney - You'll find some hills East of I-45. Kinda like lumpy ground on a large scale.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I noticed that in my 07 DCAB with 45k on it... I was in high traffic creeping up the incline of the bridge and it did it 3-4 times. And yeah... it felt like someone bumped my from behind. Not due to that, but about a week later, I traded it in for a '10 4x4 DCAB. So... if its an issue... looks like someone else is going to find it.

David

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I think all tundra's do it, just how the transmission is set up. Mine does that sometimes, its not gonna shoot you into the car in front of you or anything. No worries.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why would you be going that slow on a hill?
That is how I can duplicate the problem for the mechanics. First time I noticed it though, I was decelerating on a hill to come to a stop at a stop sign. While I was decelerating to come to a stop, I was still creeping up the hill slowly when I felt the sensation of being run into from the back. Normally I would not be going up the hill this slowly, but that is how you can see if your truck has the similar issue.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I knwo what you're talking about. Mine has it as well...

Mine also exhibits another one where if I'm going about 35-40 and going up a hill, the torque converter (maybet ransmission) doesn't know what to do.

-rockstate
Mine also has a similar issue when going up a slight hill in that same speed range. I noticed it worse when I was recently towing my boat to Canada.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Mine started to do similar stuff at 45K, but I am fed up arguing with yota.
Fortunately they replaced the water pump at 55k under powertrain warranty, but even that required the dealer to take pictures and send them to Yota so they can send the replacement pump. Dealers do not have them in stock unless you are paying.
So I highly doubt they will even try to duplicate what you are describing.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
ARGHHHHH, I gotta find a hill too............
You can borrow one of mine....... As far as I know, they will ALL do it. My Camry has even done it. I think it may have something to do with the torque converter........

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
these trucks do have some type of mercury switch, so it can tell when youre going downhill. this is how it knows to engine brake, when youre going downhill. its possible that when it sense you trvelling uphill, it will give it gas between shifts at low speed, to prevent the possibility of stalling if the truck started to roll backwards. so when it catches the lower gear, it lurches forward.

no idea on this, im just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2010 CM LTD 4X4 that does something similar. When slowing to a crawl, for say a speed bump, it feels like it momentarily goes into neutral, and when you reapply the gas it momentarily stays in neutral, revs up and then bumps into first gear, making it take off like a top fuel dragster unless you have a light foot (I don't). Dealer says "NPF"; "They all do that" and "the transmission is kind of strange" I'm used to it now, but I wanted to document it if it is the early signs of torque-converter issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had the same problem with my 2007 RCSB 2WD 5.7, at approximately 37 MPH, while slowing down would get a jerking motion like someone bumped into the back. Dealer changed the torque converter, no change, then the transmission and reprogrammed the computer. Still does it occasionally. As discussed in a previous post on TS the problem was caused by the torque converter unlocking at the same instance that the transmission downshifted. The fix is having the computer reprogrammed. its annoying but not serious. No idea what causes it to happen at lower speeds as far as I know the torque converter only locks up in 4th, 5th and 6th.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Had the same problem with my 2007 RCSB 2WD 5.7, at approximately 37 MPH, while slowing down would get a jerking motion like someone bumped into the back. Dealer changed the torque converter, no change, then the transmission and reprogrammed the computer. Still does it occasionally. As discussed in a previous post on TS the problem was caused by the torque converter unlocking at the same instance that the transmission downshifted. The fix is having the computer reprogrammed. its annoying but not serious. No idea what causes it to happen at lower speeds as far as I know the torque converter only locks up in 4th, 5th and 6th.
"..Still does it occasionally..." Key.
I agree with all here who say something like it's the nature of the beast, as mine - 2007 with 14,000mis also does it, always has... but just once in a while.

Sometimes we just run smack dab into one of those WTH moments.. this may be one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had an 07 DC, 5.7 and had lots of tranny issues, including a leak they could not find and finally replaced the tranny:attention:. The replacement tranny at one point shifted so hard I thought it would come apart. I now have a 2010 DC Rock Warrior 5.7 4X4, no tranny issues. I was told these trannies "learn" your driving habits over time and this can be reset by disconnecting battery for 15mins and let the tranny re-learn your driving patterns.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'm sure our trannys learn our driving habits being all "computer upped" as they are. I won't have the TC issues mentioned because I stay in S most of the time. If while I'm towing, the Torque Converter won't stay locked in 6th,I'll down-shift to 5th or 4th and listen to what my Corsa (and the tachometer) is telling me.The sooner and longer the TC stays locked,the better for our trannys.Contrary to popular opinion,we're better thinkers than our trucks....or we used to be anyway.:facepalm:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mine does it as well. As someone else already stated I think it's just a hard shift into 1st, if you put if over into "S" mode and drop it into 1st it won't do it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts