Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Sorry if this is a repeat question. Searching, I found nothing exactly like this problem. Just bought this truck about 5 days ago used. 40,000 miles on it. Beautiful truck. Loved it but now I'm a bit concerned since I just got it. About three times so far for no apparent reason the VSC light comes on and is blinking along with that little picture of a vehicle with skid marks under it. Usually that is the extent of it. I'm not sure whats happening when this ocurrs as in whether or not VSC is actually being disabled or not. The first two times I thought I had done something wrong. I was able to turn off the engine, push the button, wait a bit, and restart and it was clear. Now this morning on the way to work the same thing happened again but also now the ABS light was on and in addition the tachometer went to zero, the speedometer was acting very jumpy and bouncing, the oil temp and oil level indicators both zero, the engine temp zero, the cruise control had been on but now would not turn off, and the outside temp indicator was not reading anything and the other settings were frozen. This stayed this way until I got to work and left it sitting in the lot for an hour or so. Then I checked it and all appeared good. I suspect it will happen again. Has anyone experienced this before? The truck is out of basic warranty and I'd like to have some idea before I call the used car dealer. Its a big dealer so maybe they will look at it gratis since I just picked it up? Probably wishful thinking.........Any help is appreciated.....

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Probably a loose, hanging wire touching somewhere. Pull the dash.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
All,

Sorry if this is a repeat question. Searching, I found nothing exactly like this problem. Just bought this truck about 5 days ago used. 40,000 miles on it. Beautiful truck. Loved it but now I'm a bit concerned since I just got it. About three times so far for no apparent reason the VSC light comes on and is blinking along with that little picture of a vehicle with skid marks under it. Usually that is the extent of it. I'm not sure whats happening when this ocurrs as in whether or not VSC is actually being disabled or not. The first two times I thought I had done something wrong. I was able to turn off the engine, push the button, wait a bit, and restart and it was clear. Now this morning on the way to work the same thing happened again but also now the ABS light was on and in addition the tachometer went to zero, the speedometer was acting very jumpy and bouncing, the oil temp and oil level indicators both zero, the engine temp zero, the cruise control had been on but now would not turn off, and the outside temp indicator was not reading anything and the other settings were frozen. This stayed this way until I got to work and left it sitting in the lot for an hour or so. Then I checked it and all appeared good. I suspect it will happen again. Has anyone experienced this before? The truck is out of basic warranty and I'd like to have some idea before I call the used car dealer. Its a big dealer so maybe they will look at it gratis since I just picked it up? Probably wishful thinking.........Any help is appreciated.....
Check the fuse box in the engine compartment make sure the fuse for the gauges are inserted securely. Look for mods that the previous owner may have done to the truck like spliced wiring, electrical tape on the wirings. Also check the fuse box in the cabin for loose fuses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I was leaning toward the loose wiring possibility and also am concerned about the mods as well.

The previous owner did have an engine immobilizer installed apparently. I have an extra fob with a button that says "silencer" on it. Anyone heard of this? So I have to push this button before starting the engine or it will die of course.

I looked at the engine fuse box and I can see its a very simple mod installed. Basically there is an RF transmitter with a wire running to a relay and a fuse. The fuse is run to what would be the normal fuse for the signals. The signals all work fine even when its acting up. The relay is plugged into a slot that says "OPN". Not sure what that means. I did uninstall the entire mod, reinsert a fuse for the signals and try it but it won't start so it looks like there was a relay in that slot removed when the mod was installed.

I plan to get a new relay when I can figure out which one to get and then try again. Not sure but I'd like to see if this mod is somehow causing the problem.

Can any of you tell me some basic pointers for pulling the dash in case I need to dig deeper?

Thanks again. Your advice for this Tundra rookie is much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Oh my gosh, you just been screwed. Your truck is gonna go up in flames. LOL, Just kidding.

Find a good stereo / alarm shop and have them remove the immobilizer, or at least check it for installation. We installed a few of these years back and had problems with the ignition switch failing (no signal to the coil (see how long it's been) or the ecm to allow spark). Good luck i hope you find the problem.

Sent some points for letting me screw with you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just in case there's something really wrong, I'd go into CYA mode. Before the Post Office closes today, send a letter detailing the complants above to the dealer. Probably it's nothing big, but on the offchance you've been shafted, you need to bitterly complain NOW about "undisclosed defects". Send this letter certified, return receipt.

Better to send it and not need it than to wish you'd done something and not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Ogtoyfan, that was funny I admit. I needed a good laugh. As soon as I can figure out what relay goes in place of where that immobilizer is plugged in I'm going to take it out anyway. It looks like the whole unit is just stuff into the fuse box compartment. Should be easy to part with, just need to put a normal relay back in when I take that immobilizer unit out. Its amazing to me that I can't find a fuse box layout though to see what should be there before this thing was installed. Of course (LOL), I have not looked at the owners manual yet.................

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
The engine comes with an immobilizer, stock. That is, there is a chip in each key, which sends out an RF signal and the immobilizer looks for that signal. Is it possible there was a problem with the stock immobilizer, so he bought another one, aftermarket?
The problems you are having may be due to an immobilizer working improperly, or to loose wiring. My truck began to act funny (loss of power, intermittent stalling) after I had it for two years. No mods or changes to the basic wiring. Finally, after about a month of this, the dealer found a loose connection from the fuse box by the driver's side kick plate, this evidently was not sending the right signal to the fuel pump relay or some such. Anyway since they fixed it, no more problems. Clearly if I have any further issues, I'll be looking closely at all the wires!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts