Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the deal I got the check engine light due to the O2 sensor. So I went to Autozone and picked up a new bosch sensor and the O2 socket to remove it. Well needs less to say the socket that autozone sells is to big to remove the old O2 sensor. So my question is does anyone sell the correct sized O2 socket. If not how the hell should I get the sensor out? Or should i just take it to the dealer and give them the sensor and have them put it in for 120.00. Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got a Great Neck brand at Autozone for 10 bucks. Replaced both my fronts yesterday. If you research this forum, you'ld be strongly advised to return the Bosch and get the factory duplicate Denso. Got mine from Rock Auto online for just over 60 bucks each. I drove my truck for about 2 months with the CEL on due to the weather.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Return the Bosch sensor and get a denso. The bosch do not work well and wont last. IIRC it was a 7/8 that you need.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, As we speak i had the same issue. i thought it unscrewed like a spark plug,not the case with my '01 you have to remove the 2 -7/16 nuts on the flange. The flange is part of the 02 sensor. Spray well with penetrating oil.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,536 Posts
Hi, As we speak i had the same issue. i thought it unscrewed like a spark plug,not the case with my '01 you have to remove the 2 -7/16 nuts on the flange. The flange is part of the 02 sensor. Spray well with penetrating oil.
You're referencing the rear (downstream) sensors which mount with two 12mm locknuts. Fairly sure the OP was talking about problems removing the fuel/air (upstream) sensors which screw directly into a bung welded to the exhaust manifold.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I found that its better just to get extended 7/8 socket instead of the special O2 - special O2 socket will round the sensor off then you are really screwed. Just take sawzall and cut the skinny back part off the sensor, then use the extended 7/8 socket - works so much better. Only use special socket to tighten the new O2 sensor.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I found that its better just to get extended 7/8 socket instead of the special O2 - special O2 socket will round the sensor off then you are really screwed. Just take sawzall and cut the skinny back part off the sensor, then use the extended 7/8 socket - works so much better. Only use special socket to tighten the new O2 sensor.
Thats exactly what I did. Used a lot of heat and finally got it out. Mine was a real pain, stripped the threads completely out. Got a spark plug thread chaser and I was back in business!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got a Great Neck brand at Autozone for 10 bucks. Replaced both my fronts yesterday. If you research this forum, you'ld be strongly advised to return the Bosch and get the factory duplicate Denso. Got mine from Rock Auto online for just over 60 bucks each. I drove my truck for about 2 months with the CEL on due to the weather.

I bought the same one as a matter of fact. It is a 22mm I believe. After soaking the sensor in Seafoam penetrator for an hour and using 18" worth of extensions on my 1/2" drive ratchet, taking the sensor out was like taking candy from a baby.:)

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I used 18" as well but was using my legs to push the bar as hands were hurting. At the time i didn't know the torch thing and only tried to warm up running engine whitch didn't help at all. What can you say - sensor lasted 150K miles - i was welded in :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts