Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually have 2 questions. First why didn't anyone tell me that the RSCA feature was actually causing the power nanny to show up unexpectedly during random times of tire spin? Simply pressing the VSC button once then the RSCA button for 3 seconds(moving or not) this thing will lock both tires together and put down the most unbelievable launch whether you're going to drag or just ruining the tires. Anyways, Thoroughly impressed by the Auto LSD until today.

I find a familiar stretch of isolated and vacant road. It's average grip make a few drag launches not so spectacular so I get a little demon in me saying to just paint the road. I hold the brakes down almost all the way and dial in gradually more power to full. It begins to spin in place at 3/4 throttle and after hitting full throttle I alleviate the brakes to half. It tries to enter second and hold that gear but resorts back to first. My 305/50R20 BF goodrich KDW at 22psi smoking heavily after 5-7 seconds of spinning in place get to move forward as I drop the brake. It enters 2nd and nearly redlines 20 feet from where I was sitting still. It feels like only one tire is spinning since a quick rear view glimse shows smoke more towards the passenger side. The pickup sways to a 25 degree pitch(90 being fully sideways) and I counter stear keeping it on the road and continuing to ask for nothing shy of full throttle. About 15 seconds after letting the pickup move forward my mass catches up with my tires doing 60MPH. I quickly pull over to inspect and hopefully admire what had just happened. There behind me was 200 feet... a short city block of the darkest PAIR of stripes I'd personally ever seen with my own eyes. Both tires are evenly heated and saturated in a melted film. The stripes went at least 3 feet to the left mid length and scrambled a bit after that never ceasing to be absolute clones of each other the entire distance.

Not bad... but when I put the pickup into a hard 3 point turn to get back to where I came from the entire rear end squeals/creeks and actually bumps up and down like I'm running over a field of pressurized garden hozes. I turn around successfully in a cautious manner and admire the stripes from my rear view as much as a worried man can. A few more turns on regular roads I can hear something isn't happy but the bumps go away immediately. By the time I get home the squealing and any disturbances smoothly go back to normal. It appears to have gotten all better. Anyone else run their tundra in the "mode" nannies wise the way I have and witness any moaning or problems from their tundra in this way?

Sorry for being a bit dramatic. The burnout was Just f-ing glorious... and scary!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Well i used to lay down rubber all the time utill i got my new KO's after that it was mostly good driving. Ive laid down some nice stripes just punching the gas but ive never just sat their and burned my tires before and ive never had any back end problems, even with towing all the time. It could have been your tires making the ride rough as for the other problems i think thats quite odd...sorry i couldn't help more.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh the tires ride quite nice. Ride quality lowered 3/5 on 275/45R20 Toyo Proxes ST @ 35PSI up front and those KDWs in back is very stock like. BTW on most road that aren't bumpy intersections mine never really spins the tires any from a full throttle launch unless I spool up power with the breaks first(not powerbreaking just charging the engine with some energy before giving it everything).

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
What does the RSCA button have to do with anything?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Oh the tires ride quite nice. Ride quality lowered 3/5 on 275/45R20 Toyo Proxes ST @ 35PSI up front and those KDWs in back is very stock like. BTW on most road that aren't bumpy intersections mine never really spins the tires any from a full throttle launch unless I spool up power with the breaks first(not powerbreaking just charging the engine with some energy before giving it everything).
Yeah i get what your talking about there...i think thats really weird that your back end was acting kinda funny after a burnout. I know people have roasted their tires until they've blow and never had rear end problems.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
...no clue maybe it turns off some hidden codes :confused:

I was checking out your gallery and you do some great work man, just wanted to tell ya.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You obviously havn't tried it willingly enough. If you ever turn a 90 degree turn with enough throttle to make the rear end get out of place it often acts up and cuts throttle for little blips with the single press of the VSC "mode". Fully turned off (3 second push of the VSC while not moving) you can get wild around any corner but it's one wheel peel. Also if you get enough tire spin that the truck wants to enter second with much of any tires spin happening it'll cut throttle for a second. Turn off RSCA with the 3 second press and the single quick press of the VSC button and it'll acts like a perfect locking differential willing to paint uniform stripes to your hearts desire.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah i get what your talking about there...i think thats really weird that your back end was acting kinda funny after a burnout. I know people have roasted their tires until they've blow and never had rear end problems.
But were they doing VSC and RSCA off with auto LSD on for absurd two wheel peel? I think the system must get too heated and have trouble going back to differentiating for a short while. It half felt like my friends old Subaru White ghost RX with the whole car locked together turning on a surface with little give(they had a level for high and low as well as locked 100%, it was AWD all the time but engaged it was not turning any one tire a different speed then the others guaranteed).

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
You obviously havn't tried it willingly enough. If you ever turn a 90 degree turn with enough throttle to make the rear end get out of place it often acts up and cuts throttle for little blips with the single press of the VSC "mode". Fully turned off (3 second push of the VSC while not moving) you can get wild around any corner but it's one wheel peel. Also if you get enough tire spin that the truck wants to enter second with much of any tires spin happening it'll cut throttle for a second. Turn off RSCA with the 3 second press and the single quick press of the VSC button and it'll acts like a perfect locking differential willing to paint uniform stripes to your hearts desire.
Hmmm...interesting....:beavbutt:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe he thought his side curtain air bags would deploy :rolleyes:during the wicked burnout :p
Well I'm just telling you guys something that would've made me love my truck so much more for the past couple years. RSCA actually puts throttle cuts in awkward places especially in drag testing and throttle cornering far from any roll over it's named after to prevent. I find it a hazard to not eliminate if you were to jump into a small hole in traffic that you need nanny free acceleration to fill. Maybe you guys don't run your tundra for all it's worth in these cases I do but I'd go out and try it yourself. 3 years I've owned this tundra and it appears I'm the first one to figure this damned thing out!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Well I'm just telling you guys something that would've made me love my truck so much more for the past couple years. RSCA actually puts throttle cuts in awkward places especially in drag testing and throttle cornering far from any roll over it's named after to prevent. I find it a hazard to not eliminate if you were to jump into a small hole in traffic that you need nanny free acceleration to fill. Maybe you guys don't run your tundra for all it's worth in these cases I do but I'd go out and try it yourself. 3 years I've owned this tundra and it appears I'm the first one to figure this damned thing out!
Were just goofing around man. Were all on the same side here. And actually ya taught me something, its something i didnt know either.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Everyone enjoying actually using the Auto LSD properly! I'll come back to mention if my problem I encountered is any real threat. Thx guise!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The VSC button disables nannies that cuts power.

The RCSA button disables the side curtain air bags from deploying.

Trust me after doing multiple launches and burnouts with the supercharger on my truck.
Supercharger may change some software. Mine is not supercharged. I would get unexpected throttle cuts doing what I did today and all over just doing simple aggressive turns with the RSCA NOT turned off. I'm not making it up, whatever... I'm outta here.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
You're definitely very in tune with your truck! Most people would chalk up the things you're describing as random performance inconsistencies and not even think twice about diagnosing them to the extent you are. That being said, there definitely are many variables which affect the drivetrain performance characteristics, some of which wouldn't represent that much common sense from an engineering aspect. Since just about every electronic control aspect of the Tundra's chassis/body/drivetrain behavior is somehow run by the main ECM, the last random thing you'd think would be tied into something else behaving a certain way (i.e. honking your horn causing the transmission to delay shifting :eek: ). It wouldn't surprise me if the RSCA system would cause throttle cutback around a tight corner. The question is whether there's only one calibration level for all Tundras or if they actually programmed different levels of intervention for the various body/chassis configurations. For me it all boils down to the fact we don't have tried and true mechanical rear LSDs - it appears the only way to get the most out of the drivetrain is to undo the VSC and deal with a one wheel peel. IMHO one of the main things holding back overall vehicle performance is the open rear diff.

·
Registered
984 Posts
RSCA button huh? Ever try pushing your hazard button while doing burnouts? It's good for a few extra horses as well. lol. But before pushing it, you have to make sure the passenger side air bag is disabled or it wont work. JK JK

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would theorize that the noise you heard after the burnout was your brakes. The ALSD system uses differential breaking in order to keep power going to both wheels. You could have heated up the brakes enough where they started to stick when you suddenly stopped to take a look at the burnout lines. I would imagine if you had driven for a while to keep air flowing through the disk; you wouldn't have heard what you heard. Hence, why it went away. We often see this type of "seizure" in the aircraft industry when emergency braking is required and then an extended stop is made

1 - 20 of 38 Posts