Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problems with brakes self activating-02 Toy Seqouia

Here's one for ya. Just driving along (sunshine or rain, towing or empty) and all he'll breaks loose. The beeping starts, anti-lock brakes apply(w/o appling brakes), vsc and trac off light appear along with skid control. When your driving 75 mph and all this starts it sure raises the pucker factor. Well, to help narrow the problem, I've taken it to a shop and the computer readout was: Steering position sensor, Yaw sensor. When I found out the price just for the sensors I went to get a diffrent opinion. Another shop said maybe the brake booster. I don't know. Has anyone had/have this problem. Any solution?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a regular 2002 SR5 2WD 85000 miles. It's just goes crazy, front brakes apply hard with a shuttering. Before I change the booster I would like to some idea of what else I could be.

·
Yamahauler
690 Posts
have you taken off the wheels to look at the breaks? sounds like something is binding up. brakes are easy, just take a real close look and you can usually see the problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's not a mechanical problem at all. It's exactly what the computer reading has said. The signal from the steering angle sensor and yaw sensor are telling the stability control computer that you are in a massive four wheel slide and the computer is doing all the action to the brakes to try and send you straight ahead. The yaw sensor is saying you are sliding sideways, and the steering angle sensor is telling the computer your see-sawing at the wheel trying to correct the lurid power slide you are supposedly enjoying.

Now can two independent sensors have really gone bad at once? Not likely... you may have an electrical ground fault or a bad connection going into the stability control computer or the two sensors (they may be same connector or harness, but not likely...steering angle will be in the column and yaw is likely around the center console area).

I hate to say it, but this is probably best left to a dealer to chase. I'd personally first yank the battery cable for 20 min to reset the computers and if you are handy at finding the sensors/connectors, unplug everything and reconnect them.

I had a problem with an airbag sensor on my '99 Tacoma that just took a reconnection with a little dielectric grease and never faulted again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts