Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I must say I enjoy the truck. Last tank I got 16.5 mpg.
I used the truck to tow close to it's max capacity and it did quiet well.
I put on a spray on bed liner, 70 gal diesel tank, Weather Gaurd tool box, ladder rack, adjustable tie downs. It is a white work truck.

On the way home Saturday this happens
SES Lights start blinking, and I have major loss of power.
Lights for 4LO and VSC are flashing.
Symptoms = at least a minute to get to max speed of 55mph.
RPM = wont go over 3000.
Doesn't want to shift gears very easy.

Well, the dealer did the regular service (5000 miles $90)
And they "fixed" the other problem.

Basically, they got the following codes:
P0037
P0057
P0102
P1613
P1614
C1201

Damn, that is alot of codes. I still don't know what they mean, yet.
Since I waited until Monday day to bring it in, the truck was driving OK.
HMmmmmm, phantom problems are the worst.
I think it is a computer problem. Maybe

The truck just did the same thing about 100 miles after the service and "fix".
FYI Toyota, "clearing the codes" does not equal "fixing the problem"

Anyways, hope this is not a problem for other new Tundras.
I would have gotten a F250 if I wanted problems.......

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
i believe fault c1201 identified the actual fault:

C1201 Engine Control System Malfunction (VCS lamp ON-RX3) or ECM/TCM malfunction / 51

the other codes kinda fall from that one.

·
Registered
780 Posts
P0037 Oxygen Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
- Open in HO2 sensor heater circuit
- HO2 sensor heater (for Sensor 2)
- Integration relay
- ECM

P0057 Oxygen Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 2 Sensor 2)
- Open in HO2 sensor heater circuit
- HO2 sensor heater (for Sensor 2)
- Integration relay
- ECM

P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input
- Open or short in MAF meter circuit
- MAF meter
- ECM

P1613 Secondary Air Injection Driver Malfunction
- Short in diagnostic information signal circuit (AID - ECM)
- Open in diagnostic information signal circuit (AID - ECM)
- Open or short in air pump and air switching valve command signal circuit AID - ECM)
- Open or short in AID power source circuit
- Open in AID ground circuit
- AID
- ECM

P1614 Secondary Air Injection System Driver Bank 2
- Short in diagnostic information signal circuit (AID - ECM)
- Open in diagnostic information signal circuit (AID - ECM)
- Open or short in air pump and air switching valve command signal circuit (AID - ECM)
- Open or short in AID power source circuit
- Open in AID ground circuit
- AID
- ECM

C1201/51 Engine control system malfunction signal continues for 1.2 seconds.
- SFI system

·
Registered
285 Posts
This is the first I have heard. The only problem I have had is a minor squeak in the seat on humid days. I droped by the dealer and could not reproduce the problem but he said they would take care of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
[FONT=&quot]I have this Problem Right now seems to happen after engine warms up, also in cruise each time! The speedometer fluctuate up and down erratically it was scary the first time it happened also popped out of cruse the VSC and 4LO flashing continued until I restarted the engine. Took the 07 tundra with 10000 miles on it to dealership they ran a test, said nothing is wrong few codes but normal then it happened again the next day looks like back to dealer again Ill update further info as it unfolds.[/FONT]

·
Registered
585 Posts
Is anyone else having problems with their new Tundra? Not trying to stir the pot, just trying to learn all I can before I purchase. :ts:
Zero issues after 11,000 miles. Never back to the dealer, not even once.

·
Registered
129 Posts
13,000 miles and no issues here. Well, I hear the "wu wu wu" sound on coasting/decel around 30-40 mph but its so soft I only notice when I'm looking for it - I'd just about be embarrassed to complain about something so insignificant.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
The only issue I have had is a lack of mod money :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
Love my truck!!!!...... Not getting overly frustrated yet, but hope to see some progress on some minor nussances. Mine is at dealership right now. I have had issues discussed in other threads:
1. High RPMs (especially cold) before Tanny really kicks in. worse when slowing down and then re-accelerating. almost like the tranny does not know what the hell to do.
2. Odd shift (almost like a reduced version of the rumble strip) between 1st and 2nd

Service advisor said O2 and Mass Airflow readings really high. Has been consulting with Toyota Engineer. Replacing MAF and O2 sensors today and will re-test vehicle. He indicated that I "May" need a new transmission, but he and the engineer are hoping it may be a sensor thing and that the shifting will improve with better airflow signals to the ECU. I am also trying to keep in mind that some of shifting 'issues' might just be related to "drive by wire".... essenstially the ECU taking over for a lot of the old mechaical functions. There have been recent ECU updates for other Toyo vehicles, but nothing for the Tundra yet.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The only issue I have had is a lack of mod money :(
Double Ditto..........as well as having to do mods/"sleep" alone (pissed off wife), or no mods/happy wife = happy me..........:D......somewhere there must be a happy medium!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have an '08 Tundra, 5.7 dclb 4X4. My check engine light is on, seems to be related to an issue with the 'factory' remote start. I cold started the truck with the remote, ran about 5 seconds and shut off. Started it with the remote again, same result. Went out and started with the key, really cold out but plugged in, everything looks good, sounds good but check engine light is now on. I am in a remote location right now so no dealer nearby to take it to. I emailed my home dealer, he says to bring it in when I get home so they can scan it but figures it is something to do with the security code(s) for the remote start. That will be in about two weeks. So far I have not noticed any issues with the truck to indicate what the check engine light is on for. Starting, power, drivability, all good. All gauges indicate normally.
I don't recomment the factory remote start, by the way. Incredibly short range, it uses the door lock/unlock remote "lock" function to start the engine. The dumb thing, it uses the "unlock" function to shut it off. Even if I open the door with the key the engine still shuts off instantly when the door is unlocked.:td: Who thought of that? Even if it would give me 30 seconds to stick the key in the ignition it would be okay. I am at least that fast.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Double Ditto..........as well as having to do mods/"sleep" alone (pissed off wife), or no mods/happy wife = happy me..........:D......somewhere there must be a happy medium!
I wish it were that easy for me.... it is more like tit for tat.... so if I were to spend money on the truck she would take that as an open invitation to spend money as she pleases.... then we would be broke :(

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just one so far, but it was a problem.

Check Engine Light -Code P0158. First dealer said that there was no problem and cleared the code but the CEL came on the next day. Second dealer replaced an O2 sensor and cleared the code. The CEL came on again the next day. Then the dealer replaced the air/fuel sensor. No problems for a week now.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
One thing that you have to remember (or at least what I remind myself of) is that this is a message board. Some of the threads complain about problems with their Tundra, you shouldn't reflect the problem with ALL of the Tundras!

If you go to any message board (any brand/make/model of truck), there are always issues raised about the quality, ride, paint, etc. That's the beauty of a message board.

The only 2 things I have in common with issues/concerns on this board is the "Diesel sound/chug" and the fuel tank gauge (falls fast after a fill-up). But it sounds like this is common among all Tundras.

Anyways, all I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't base your truck buying decision solely on a message board! In my opinion, the Tundra is a great truck, compared to my 2003 Dodge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
my 08 dc 2wd is one step away from lemon law, is has a driveshaft or driveline vibration that no dealer can fix , they have replaced ,tires, 2 driveshafts, rear axles , carrier bearing , and differential , also played around with pinion angle ,the very worst part is the customer care at toyota didnt even hear me out before he said and i quote (what your truck is doing is normal ) its got 2900 mi. and i cant wait to stuff it down toyotas throat......

·
Registered
1 Posts
you are explaining almost exactly what problems i have except that you didnt mention the noise that my truck is making it is like a low thrush sound at the start, then when it hits cruising speed it quiets down. my problem is both air pumps do not work and both air switching valves are ceased. the dealer mechanics say it is a water intrusion problem. but apparently the bigger problem is that it is going to cost me $6000.00 to fix as my warrenty just ran out on it. i told him it sounds like a factory defect and to research with the higher ups that may be from toyota. they thought i drove it in water to cause that damage. and i said if i did it would have to be about 4-5 deep to reach the air intakes. so they are going to get back to me. i dont see much hope here as they do not want to take responsibility for this yet but they did for the past 5 recalls i had on it to date. i bought this truck off the 18 wheeler the day they were first released. now i feel like i am getting a run on my hard earned money.

·
Banned
208 Posts
luckily so far, nothing mechanical wrong with my 07, just cosmetics stuff. Bad paint, rusting in 5 areas, odd smelling odor in interior at times ONLY when running A/C or defroster, driver's seat replaced due to knocking noise, several dash/interior trim issues, front outside cowl replaced by windshield wipers, serpentine belt replaced due to cracking, and driver's door panel replaced. So, at least 12 to 15 times into the dealership for issues in the last 2 years, not what I expected. I could see 4 or 5 items needed replaced, but over 10 is not very good reliability for the tundra truck.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts