Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying some Procomp Xtreme All Terrain tires for my truck.
2.5"-3" lift on the truck(have yet to decide).
After market 20" rims.
I was looking at running 33x13.5x20 but I don't know if these tires will be too wide. Anyone out there have 13.5" wide tires with a 2.5"-3" lift?
Just woundering if they will rub?
Thanks
~Scottie

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Lifts not the malfunction, the off set on the wheel is your main concern. cause its gonna hit the uca

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes, they will rub that tire is too wide. You might be able to put them on if you got wheel spacers, but like mentioned earlier it depends on your backspacing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tires will be rub one way or another. In order to clear the UCA, you would need rims with a backspcing of 4.5". However, 13.5" wide and you for sure rub the pinchweld area. In order to clear the pinchweld area, you would need more backspacing....which would of course mean you're rubbing the UCA again....Catch 22. I don't know of any way to clear 13.5" tire except to add a lot more lift. A 2.5"-3" will definitely not cut it. Wheel spacer's only reduce backspacing which won't help either as they will just push the rims out farther (and subsequently push the tire closer to the pinchweld area again). I was able to squeeze 305/65/17 ProComp Xterrains with a 2.5" lift, but that was only after some handy work with a grinder and a big @$$ hammer. Feel free to read through how I squeezed the 305's: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/81561-will-305s-fit-2-5-spacer/
Hope this helps...

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Scottie, I'm apologizing in advance :eek: because I'm about to completely trash those tires but wanted to let you know it's nothing personal! So I'm sorry :eek:. Here goes...

Cons-
Rub on the bumper, pinch weld, mud flap, frame, UCA.
Poor road handling except on glassy smooth pavement, same on the dirt.
Complete inability to perform at low pressure, offroad performance will be garbage.
Loss of acceleration from higher rotating mass (wide tire and big rim)

Pros-
Dude, they will look tight and hella tuff, bro :eek:. All the flatbillers will love it :devil:.

Bottom Line-
These are show tires. They will do nothing well LOL!...they are meant to look really good and that's it. Out of the 17 available sizes only a half dozen are in the range of "good" for anything offroad, unless you need flotation tires. If you're using this as a show truck, the large rims and wide semi-aggressive tread will definately look good, but that's about all it will do. Even on the street, while that wide tire will corner well, the width will grab ruts, seams, edges and curbs with a quickness, and the tread pattern will prevent it from ever being a real street performer. If somebody recommended these tires on the grounds they're real offroad performers in that size, they're mistaken :eek:. They do come in good sizes for running around offroad...but that's not one of them :cool: and it'll be a pain to fit.

Now I've totally hosed on those tires :p...like I said nothing personal!...here's how you could fit them :).

Like jberry said, you'll need to mod a few things. It isn't the height, it's actually the width that will get you. If you run a uniball upper control arm AND a total of about 3"-3.5" backspacing (assuming you have the right rim width, probably 10" wide), you'll clear the upper control arm. I'm running 35x12.5R16 on 3" backspacing at 16x8 with uniballs and I have about an inch to the UCA. I think you could work it out with the right rims, or a wheel adapter. The right combination should also keep it off the frame.

It will still rub the front bumper--cut it or get something else up there--and the back of the wheel well. To run with 3" lift and clear these tires, you'll need 930 CV boots if you have 4x4, and to keep the ride comfortable you'll need longer shocks and uniball UCAs...a 3" spacer will ride like hell.

For the rear of the wheel well, you'll at least need to do what jberry did. If you plan to go offroad (not redlining through dirty puddles or dirt roads through the woods, but twisted gnarly offroad), you'll need to actually tub the wheel wells like I have. That's also when you'll find that width and rim size don't cut it offroad :devil:. Of course, with a tub job you'll be able to fit a taller tire as well...anyway...

Hope that helps, whatever you choose to do.

-Sean

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right on guys thanks for the info. I didn't know alot about the tires just a couple of my buddies are running them on there fords, 37's i think? and they look pretty good but they also complained about there offroad abilities. I kind of figured these tires would be to wide and in my digging around i also found that Procomp makes a 275x60x20 = 33x10.9x20 (just the all terrain not xtreme) now the question becomes will these tires look too skinny or should they be fine?
Only reason I'm currently looking at these tires is that I have a friend that can get me a really good deal on Procomp tires.
~Scottie

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Do you already have the 20s--did they come with the truck?

The 37" sizes are fine (except imho the 37R20), but the smaller sizes on the larger rims is where you'll see the greatest performance hit.

They make a 315/75/16 if you can fit it, but for the price there are again imho better tires...unless your buddy can get a good deal.

With a rim that large, a narrow tire might look like you're driving a bicycle :p. Personally given the way it would look I'd try for 33x11.5 or 33x12. Again, don't expect massive performance...those are rims for the street, you'll see the most benefit from something like the basic A/T anyway, and you'll see it on the street in dry weather.

He might be able to get a great deal, but unless you're able to run at least a 35, the sizes ProComp offers aren't helping much :p.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My '04 DC has a 6" Fabtech lift with ProComp 35x12.5x17 MT's, no spacers. They were already mounted on the truck when I bought it. I decided not to add spacers because some roads we take to get offroad and ride our quads and dirt bikes, like Apex in Las Vegas, are really uneven and rocky---I didn't want my wheels sitting on "a few threads". When I get the mileage out of these tires, I'll go down in size, and probably get new rims with it, although I like the Eagle's I have. The tires definitely rubbed, especially when the road is 'warped' or dips...it sounded like you were putting a tire to a bench grinder... Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts