Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my attemp installing my Prodigy brake controller in my 08 Tundra DC SR5.

I chose to install it in front of the shifter in the cubby hole under the TOW HAUL button.

I removed the panel and then the pocket . Used a half round file to put a small curve on the bottom and the top of the opening to match the body of the brake controller.

I then ground down the metal hanger braket tabs at angle to go on the backside to sandwhich the controller in the opening. I also had to grind a small relief on the bottom side where the pivot point of the arm was touching. I also trimmed the corner of two tabs on the panel to make installing the side screws easier.

This required several test fits as I needed it to sandwhich the controller with out binding the arm or distorting the face of the panel.

The last thing you would want to happen is to use the manual override and have it stick.

I would have preferred to mount it in a more secure way for peace of mind, but this actually turned out fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
looks like a nice job!
Got any pictures of it installed in the truck? I'm getting ready to install the same brake controll this weekend and can't decide where to put it. I had thought about that cubby or the one in front of the shifter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nice install and a few other people have done it the same way, very clean. The only reason why I would not mount it in that location is quick access to the manual override on the bottom of the controller. Having been in a nasty sway situation one time with my setup and only saving it thanks to that lever I want it somewhere that is not obstructed and easy to reach. Do you have a console or column shifter?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice install and a few other people have done it the same way, very clean. The only reason why I would not mount it in that location is quick access to the manual override on the bottom of the controller. Having been in a nasty sway situation one time with my setup and only saving it thanks to that lever I want it somewhere that is not obstructed and easy to reach. Do you have a console or column shifter?

I'll post up an install pic later today. When the shifter (center console) is in drive I have no problem reaching the controls or the manual override. IMO this is the easist location to reach for me.

Sure beats having it sitting on the floor board under the floor mat...:D

A swaying trailer is no fun at all.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
This is the place I installed my p-3 and I can reach the brake lever with ease. I have the floor shifter.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
DCRC,

I love the looks of this install. How difficult was it to get the panel out so that you could remove the cubby and then install the controller?

I've seen on another Tundra site where people complained that it wasn't installed in-line with the direction of travel. Any issues with it post installation?

I'm planning on picking up a P3 in the next week or so and that is where I would like to install it.

You also mentioned posting a pick with the shifter in D to show the amount of clearance available.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is exactly where I want to mount my Prodigy. I need some help though. I cannot figure out haw to remove the Tow Haul cubby to work on it. Do you remove the center console to squeeze the tabs on each side of the cubby to pop it out. Can you explain what I need to remove?

Thanks for the help, great mod!

·
Registered
415 Posts
You did a great job considering the location options and the shape of the controller housing. Unfortunately, it still looks out-of-place and a bit of a kludge (at least to me). It's a shame Toyota doesn't install a controller as part of the Tow Package.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts