Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently spent a few hours searching the net, trying numerous different instructions on how to program a replacement key for my 2005 Sequoia. I also ready several times that a dealer "scanner" was required to program one. Bunch of crap. I finally found instructions that work (found these instructions under a 2005 Toyota Sienna posting so I might work on all 2005 Toyota models).

These are very similar to another set of instructions I found, but with a few subtle (and apparently very important) differences. Follow these and you can avoid paying the dealership $47-$65 to program it for you. Plus, you can use aftermarket transponder keys found at Ebay Motors for around $17 (instead of $47 at the dealership).

1) Close all doors
2) Insert your Master key (black) int the key cylinder
3) Turn the ignition from Lock to On 5 times within 15 seconds - on the 5th time, leave the key in the ON position
4) Open and close the driver's door 6 times within 20 seconds
5) Turn the Master key back to Lock and remove
6) Insert the new blank key and turn to ON position
7) Leave in ON position for at least 60 seconds (while the key registers with the vehicle)
8) After 60+ seconds, remove the key.
9) Open then Close the driver's door to end the process

Done! You just saved about $50 each time you want to purchase and program a new key for your vehicle and took some money out of the greedy service department's hands!

Note: I bought my key at the Toyota dealership and had them cut it for $47. I've read the keys on Ebay Motors will work as well, but I didn't want to leave anything to chance since I'd ready mixed threads about whether or not I could program the key myself. Knowing the key was a genuine Toyota key ruled out the possibility that they key itself didn't work - I knew it was simply and issue of finding the right programming sequence.

Now that I know this sequence works - I will try a $17 Ebay replacement next time. If that key doesn't work, I know it's the key and not the programming sequence.

Final comment. When I picked up the key from the Toyota parts department, the guy behind the counter said in a condescending tone "I'll cut one and sell it to you, but it's a waste of time unless you have the Service dept program it for you. You see, it has a transponder chip in it and your vehicle is equipped with a security function that won't let any old key work on it." I told him that's fine, I'll take the key anyway and have the service dept program it later if I need to. I might just have to stop by and let him know I saved the $47 he was going to charge me by doing a little searching on the internet...

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought an 05 sequioa SR5 and it only came with one key and one keyless remote. The dealer by me wants $350 for both programmed! I am unsure what I should do because I see a place on the net that has the toyota transponder chip key for $17 and the keyless remote for $96 (which im sure I can find one cheaper). I certainly don't want to spend that kind of money if I don't have to! If I were to buy both key and remote what's my next step? Is it along the lines of what you've detailed above?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Although I felt foolish in the process, I tried the self-programming process listed above. It took me a couple of times, but it worked. Since there was no confirmation that it worked, I have opted to post one. By the way, you know the new key has accepted the code when the flashing red icon on the dash goes off, indicating that the ignition is no longer disabled.
BajaBill

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just did this on my 2006 Limited. We only received one key with the car (and someone in the family has been known to lose keys), so after reading the procedure in the service manual, I figured I'd give it a shot. Bought the transponder key for $30 locally (the guy runs an e-bay store as well, but I didn't want to wait to have him ship it). Took the key to a Canadian tire, had it cut for free, brought it home and programmed it. Took me two tries, first try I think I accidentally turned the key back to 'lock' before opening the door.

As mentioned, you'll know it's working if the immobilizer light isn't flashing while your new key is in. Just wait the 60+ seconds before taking it out.

The local dealer wanted $47 for a key, and they figured they would cut it for me with that, but also told me I'd have to have it programmed there. They wanted $100 to bring home a programmed key.

At the same time I purchased a keyless remote but my vehicle came with a remote starter that is interfering with my procedure to program the remote. I have to see if I can disable the remote starter for a few minutes (fuses?, power to the module) so that I can get through the procedure for the remote. Dealer wanted $213 for the remote, I picked it up for $35, so assuming I can bypass the remote starter and program the remote, it was well worth it. If not, I saved more than that on my second key!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just recently bought a 2005 Sequoia Limited and of course it only came with one key and remote.
Locksmith wanted $150 for a duplicate key and programming. I didn't even bother to check with the dealership if the locksmith was already this expensive. So, I bought a generic key from eBay for $7
including shipping and handling. I tried the instructions given above figuring the most I could lose is $7 and feel a little stupid. To my surprise, IT WORKED!!! It took me 7 or 8 tries, but it worked.

I noticed it worked when I switched the original key with the new key quickly out of the egnition.

Thanks Sequoialanz!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a transponder key online, shipped from China for about $12. I bought the key with the "dot" on the blade as my original key has. Had it cut for $1.50 at t key shop in San Diego, followed the program instructions on this post and it all worked out. Thx

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks for the post, i save a bunch for the spare key. total cost just $7. follow instructions after 3 tries finally got it. thanks again

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks sequoialanz I had tried several methods...this worked perfect..saved me a lot on money!!! I have 2004 Toyota Sequoia limited. The locksmith was going to charge $80 and the dealer wanted $125...what a rip-off. It took me about 2 minutes! Thanks again!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the key and it i was cut then I need to program it.I did not know the correct sequence? I have heard that it is called the brake dance and you have to use the brake and gas pedal.Then i contacted Bolingbrook locksmith and they helped me in that critical situation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sequoialanz's instructions worked perfectly. Programmed two keys just now for my 03

Reactions: LGL002

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just used OP's procedure exactly as stated and it worked on the first attempt.

I bought my transponder key on Amazon for $7.38. Took it to a local locksmith in San Diego, who cut the key for $4. Used OP's procedure to program it in 2 minutes.

My vehicle: 2007 Sequoia Limited 4WD.

Thanks guys - info like this is what makes this forum great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently spent a few hours searching the net, trying numerous different instructions on how to program a replacement key for my 2005 Sequoia. I also ready several times that a dealer "scanner" was required to program one. Bunch of crap. I finally found instructions that work (found these instructions under a 2005 Toyota Sienna posting so I might work on all 2005 Toyota models).

These are very similar to another set of instructions I found, but with a few subtle (and apparently very important) differences. Follow these and you can avoid paying the dealership $47-$65 to program it for you. Plus, you can use aftermarket transponder keys found at Ebay Motors for around $17 (instead of $47 at the dealership).

1) Close all doors
2) Insert your Master key (black) int the key cylinder
3) Turn the ignition from Lock to On 5 times within 15 seconds - on the 5th time, leave the key in the ON position
4) Open and close the driver's door 6 times within 20 seconds
5) Turn the Master key back to Lock and remove
6) Insert the new blank key and turn to ON position
7) Leave in ON position for at least 60 seconds (while the key registers with the vehicle)
8) After 60+ seconds, remove the key.
9) Open then Close the driver's door to end the process

Done! You just saved about $50 each time you want to purchase and program a new key for your vehicle and took some money out of the greedy service department's hands!

Note: I bought my key at the Toyota dealership and had them cut it for $47. I've read the keys on Ebay Motors will work as well, but I didn't want to leave anything to chance since I'd ready mixed threads about whether or not I could program the key myself. Knowing the key was a genuine Toyota key ruled out the possibility that they key itself didn't work - I knew it was simply and issue of finding the right programming sequence.

Now that I know this sequence works - I will try a $17 Ebay replacement next time. If that key doesn't work, I know it's the key and not the programming sequence.

Final comment. When I picked up the key from the Toyota parts department, the guy behind the counter said in a condescending tone "I'll cut one and sell it to you, but it's a waste of time unless you have the Service dept program it for you. You see, it has a transponder chip in it and your vehicle is equipped with a security function that won't let any old key work on it." I told him that's fine, I'll take the key anyway and have the service dept program it later if I need to. I might just have to stop by and let him know I saved the $47 he was going to charge me by doing a little searching on the internet...

Enjoy!
What do you mean by "new key" in (6) Insert the new blank key and turn to ON position? What new key? Remote comes with a new key? Thanks for response

1 - 15 of 15 Posts