Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you know that there are hundreds of configuration options and diagnostic functions hidden in the 2007+ Tundra trucks. Things like programming a new remote, activating the alarm or glass break sensors, changing the passenger seat belt option, etc. not to mention all the more technical controls and diagnostic tests. Unfortunately the only way to access those is to pay your dealer service department to do it for you with their Techstream laptop in the service department.

This is highly irritating because you need to take a day off work, drive to the dealership, wait a few hours, and pay $50-$100 just to have some settings changed IF the dealer is even willing to do it for you and IF they know what they are doing. I couldn't believe that I paid more than $40K for a top of the line truck only to find out that I don't really own it... the dealer still owns many of the functions and settings and I am dependent on them for certain maintenance. Until now that is.

I found out that you can buy a special Mongoose MFC cable interface with driver software that will let you hook any laptop or home PC to the Tundra via a standard USB port and the OBDII connector which is under your dash. Then you just need to install and run the special Toyota Techstream software and you are in full control of your truck, as it should have been from day one. Sounds cool and I am ready to give it a shot but there is one catch: the Mongoose MFC costs $485!

I am really tempted to get it anyway but I know that I will only use it once in a while so I hate to spend that much and let it just sit on the shelf. Especially since I know that the actual cost to make the cable interface is less than $50 and what they are really charging you is for the effort to develop the software driver, plus a LOT of profit on top. But still it is a lot cheaper than buying your own Techstream laptop for $8,000 and of course many of us do want full control of our trucks.

So I just had an idea. Why not buy the Mongoose MFC and use it for my needs, then rent it out to others on this forum for a small fee? I would ship the cable and driver software to whoever needed it and then they just send it back to me when they are done. If only 20 of us did this then the cost would only be $25 each plus shipping to gain full access to our trucks and set options or diagnose any trouble codes or other issues. Sounds like a good idea to me and I would be willing to trust registered forum members if they want to do it. I haven't committed to doing this yet but let me know if you are interested and maybe we can do it.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
I believe that $485 is just for the Mongoose OBD II module, driver package and cord. You still have to subscribe to Toyota's Techstream Professional software package at $55 a day or $995 a year to get access to full function programming.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You do need the Toyota Techstream software but you can download and activate it with a 2-day TIS subscription which is only $55. And with that subscription you can also download the full TSBs, repair manual, wiring diagram, and literally thousands of other diagrams, documents, etc. And I am 95% certain that the Techstream software will stay activated and it won't need the TIS subscription to connect to your truck. You only need the subscription to download and activate the software and then you are good for as long as you have the cable. And if the cable is as simple as I am hoping then I may be able to make my own... and if this is successful then I would definitely offer to build cables for those who pitched in with us.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Wow this is great! I would have to keep an eye on this and see the kind of settings people are changing. I am definitly iterested and I will be keeping an eye on this thread. Whether it works or not I'm sending points for wanting to help everyone out!

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
That will be great IF it works. There are some other places that you can get the cable for a bit less but there's no way to know if they work with TIS software.
OBDScan-APEX - OBDII Diagnostic Scanner
I'm a bit skeptical about this TIS software part though. I suspect they are not gonna allow that to run without a PAID subscription.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would be interested. If I understand correctly, we chip in for the cable and software ($20), you make us a cable(price undetermined), pay for the subscription ($55), and we basically will have a Techstream for less then $100. Not only would we would be able to configure our trucks and friends trucks, but we could check the level of our tranny fluid. It would be worth it for me, but hopefully someone could confirm that we only need the one time subscription payment.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I already downloaded, installed, and ran the Techstream software on my home PC without any registration or subscription to TIS. it allows free use for a limited time which is not specified. I am nearly certain that you can run it as often as needed once it is registered, as many people will not have internet connections in the truck so the software has to run without being connected. Only way to know for sure is buy it and try it, or find someone that already has it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I already downloaded, installed, and ran the Techstream software on my home PC without any registration or subscription to TIS. it allows free use for a limited time which is not specified. I am nearly certain that you can run it as often as needed once it is registered, as many people will not have internet connections in the truck so the software has to run without being connected. Only way to know for sure is buy it and try it, or find someone that already has it.
Can you provide a link to do this?

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got it from a special connection but anyone can login to TIS and download the latest version for $55 which will include the registration code.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
although i had my seat belt disabled at the dealership, i'd love to play around with other configurations...i'm totally game for this..Let me know when you're ready.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
This sounds interesting for sure.... What version are you running of the software and can you tell from what you have if you can modfiy the areas, like the seat belt chime, TPMS sensors and what not. Like you said before I am sure if we invested in the cable someone could figure out what was needed to make their own. I would think the cable be pretty sinple too, maybe a send recieve and ground with a control wire or two that connects to ODBC port.

Staying tuned for updates..
:behindsofa:

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
... But really, what all can we change? Is there a list of what can actually be adjusted?

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am not sure what all can be changed but I am sure there are a fair amount of dealer settings in addition to the diagnostics and ability to record performance data while driving and analyze it later. If I find even one thing that I can use then it is worth the investment. I already know of a few things such as remote programming, glass break activation, passenger seat belt alert, etc. which I will use. The rest will be experimentation once I have the device, assuming that I decide to get it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Would we be able to do the supercharger flash with this setup? THis way people could install it themselves and even do the programming

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are the customizable parameters
Thanks for the list. I have seen that before. I suspect that there are more functions and settings available in the Techstream, and that this document just highlights the typical electronic / convenience settings. We won't know until we see it of course.

I did read somewhere that Techstream allows flashing but I have never researched the supercharger install so I don't know.

1 - 20 of 220 Posts