Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share a few pix of Projekt Hippo...

My Wife thinks the truck looks like a Hippo...so now it's referred to by everyone as "The Hippo..."

More to come later...de-chromed...Tundra grill...front tint...and a few other goodies...

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Cool, looks good. I went with the Revtek lift originally, took it off, and now I can't GIVE it away... *sigh*

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Looks good, funny we both have Platinums and both going for completely opposite looks.

I saw your list of plans and had some follow up questions, with the handles/mirrors are you planning to match the wheels or paint them body color? (I personally like body color), also I think the front 'outer' grill surround along with the T emblem body color matched and paint the 'inner' grill as well as the lower grill and fog bezels to match the wheels.

Also a black headlight modification to match the color of the wheels/grill would really tie it all together.

How is the revtek working out in terms of ride quality vs. stock? Did you lose much functionality with the override for the rear air suspension?

·
Registered
198 Posts
The Hippo looks great. A couple of questions;
- How do you like the Rev Tech lift kit? Is there a reason you went with the stock shocks/springs as opposed to a coil over setup?
- I noticed you went with a 275/65/20 setup (34.1"). Do you have any rubbing issues lock to lock or on the upper control arm?
- Did you have a specific purpose or capability need in mind when choosing your parts. Were you planning on going trail exploring?

ThirdHorseMan - Why did you take your RevTech's off or not put them on?

steven

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
It just wasn't the look I ended up wanting. I lifted it based on the plans I had for my Tundra, and it just wasn't the same. I also sold the Nitto Terra Grapplers I had purchased at the same time.

Otherwise, the kit is good quality and the ride height was AWESOME!!!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
The Hippo looks great. A couple of questions;
- How do you like the Rev Tech lift kit? Is there a reason you went with the stock shocks/springs as opposed to a coil over setup?
- I noticed you went with a 275/65/20 setup (34.1"). Do you have any rubbing issues lock to lock or on the upper control arm?
- Did you have a specific purpose or capability need in mind when choosing your parts. Were you planning on going trail exploring?

ThirdHorseMan - Why did you take your RevTech's off or not put them on?

steven
My suggestion is to buy Third's, practically giving them away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I donated the truck to RevTek in my neighborhood...they used my Platinum for R&D. The kit uses some of the front kit from the SR5 / Limited / Tundra option and adjustment of the rear air bags. The total lift is slightly lower than the other kit...about 2.25" total. So far I am pleased with the lift...it still rides nice and comparable to stock with no adverse side effects. I may explore other lift options such as coilovers in the future…but the RevTek price was nice…parts only.

I was hoping to stuff some 35-12.50-20’s under it…but couldn’t quite fit without rubbing. Chose the 275/65/20 (34”) as they were tall as I could fit. The wheels are 20x9 with a 25mm offset. I removed the front bumper mudflap and trimmed the back mudflap for maximum turning clearance. I have no other rub issues and clearance to all suspension parts is more than adequate. I also had previously bent the skid plate wings up on both sides for additional tire clearance with factory wheels.

My future plans are to do some color match on the door handles, mirrors and grill. I am swapping to a Tundra grill for the mesh look and will do a mix of color match and matte black to tie everything together. I would like to also find some nice black projector headlights and possibly tint the tail lights as well. What colors and combinations I am undecided…I may even do some color match carbon fiber finish. There is a company near me that is doing Hydrographic Coatings and can put some pretty amazing finishes on just about anything…check them out here: http://www.westcoastperformancecoatings.com

More to come later and will post pix as things are updated. I am enjoying the hippo immensely and it is a pleasure to drive…

·
Resident Reefer
259 Posts
Now that looks awesome!!! Although, I'd never do it to mine...too aggressive for me. So, what kind of mpg's are you getting?

As far as a color keyed grille and handles, those are pretty easy to come by but the mirror caps are ones to be taken to a shop or DIY. I had to have my caps painted to match at my buddies shop. You'd have to buy the whole mirror assembly from Toyota...they just won't sell color keyed caps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts