Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I also use this method - I didn't know about this site until I purchased my 2007 Suzuki Boulevard S50 though. All my previous vehicles have been driven hard from the beginning.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was told to drive it like I was going to during its useful life. So I did. I changed out the factory oil at 6K and I'm running full synthetic in it. It didn't use a noticable amount of oil when I got it, and still only uses a fraction of a quart every 6K, with 30K on it now.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Do not, by all means!, do NOT baby that new 5.7! (or 4.0, 4.7 or even your new snow-blower!)

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

I've used this now on 3 new vehicles and I'm a believer
For what it's worth:
That link is a page that deals with motorcycles, snowmobiles and lawnmowers. The concept may be similar, but he says nothing about truck or car engines.

Having said that, I have always been told by mechanics to break an engine in the same way you intend to run it. Don't be any easier or harder than you normally drive.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
The 500 mile break in period for vehicles is NOT for the engine, it's for the rear end gears.
Can you direct me to where you found this information?

Mine will be here soon and I would like to read about that before I make a mistake. I break my motorcycles in hard and fast, but they are a different animal when it comes to trannys and read ends.

"Trannys and rear ends", that just sounds bad.:eek: :D

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I might be able to. I have a Corvette and I've been active in an online Corvette forum since late 2001. It's just something I've learned from the forum. I'll "search" and see if I can find any info.

EDIT: OK did a search on the Corvette forum. The 500 mile break in period is for the transmission and rear-end. Also, no super hard stopping for first 200 miles in order to break in your brakes. During the first 500 miles, try to vary your speed.

You should check your owner's manual in regards to a break in period.

·
Registered
661 Posts
i love this forum because it proves that the engineers who
built my vehicle don't have a clue. how did they get their jobs?
i just went out and read my owner's manual again about the
break-in period and it is pretty much the opposite of what is
post here. i put the manual in the trash. too much false info
printed in it. thanks to everyone for clearing it up for me. yspert

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i love this forum because it proves that the engineers who
built my vehicle don't have a clue. how did they get their jobs?
i just went out and read my owner's manual again about the
break-in period and it is pretty much the opposite of what is
post here. i put the manual in the trash. too much false info
printed in it. thanks to everyone for clearing it up for me. yspert
Engineers didn't write your manual, technical writers did and they've been copying/pasting the same break-in paragraph for 50 years despite major developments in engine design and fabrication.

But go ahead and be faithful to your manual, it's your truck...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For what it's worth:
That link is a page that deals with motorcycles, snowmobiles and lawnmowers. The concept may be similar, but he says nothing about truck or car engines.

Having said that, I have always been told by mechanics to break an engine in the same way you intend to run it. Don't be any easier or harder than you normally drive.
From article:

Although the examples shown here are motorcycle engines,
these principles apply to all 4 stroke engines:

Street or Race Motorcycles, Cars, Snowmobiles, Airplanes & yes ...
even Lawn Mowers !!
( regardless of brand, cooling type, or number of cylinders. )

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Really? I didn't realize you had to properly seat the rings in the rear end gears. ;)
OK, that's a funny HAHA.... In the old days, I do think it was necessary to take it easy on the valve seats. I don't think it's necessary these days. When's the last time you heard of a new car owner having to return it to the dealer because of valve seat problems during the first 500 miles? Now, brake problems...absolutely yes, problems do happen within the first 500 miles without proper break in. Rear end and transmission, not so much.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also am a believer of the hard break-in method. But if Toyota runs the motor at the assembly plant like they did with the 4.7 it doesn't really matter how you break the motor in, it's already done. The belief of the hard break-in method really only comes into play for the first 0-5 mins. of run time then the damage is done. Brad.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I can tell you this, my friend bought a new ford truck and drove it very hard from the day he bought it. On the way home when it was new he run it full throttle, a 80 mile trip. it was the best stock 302 ford I ever seen!

·
Registered
125 Posts
well then i guess I dont feel so bad for turning the traction control off and launching it 1st thing i got close to home.

Or shutting down that scion ricer who tried to pass me up hill.

Or that x5 that tried... lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts