Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am buying a travel trailer. Have owned two different ones in the past. At that time I had a 92 F250 diesel. And sway bars were not neccesary. I now own a 04DC 4x4 Tundra. Anyway, is there a set rule on how much tension to apply? Or do I do like I did in the past when I helped out my buddies hook there's up to their 1/2 ton pu's, that is, apply as much as possible?

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Well, you don't apply as much as possible. Rule of thumb is to get the front axle back to its unloaded weight. You can get the front wheel wells back to the unloaded height if you don't take it to a scale. Keep in mind that even with this method you'll still have to "dial in" the specific combination based on your trailer and loading. It's not an exact science.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, you don't apply as much as possible. Rule of thumb is to get the front axle back to its unloaded weight. You can get the front wheel wells back to the unloaded height if you don't take it to a scale. Keep in mind that even with this method you'll still have to "dial in" the specific combination based on your trailer and loading. It's not an exact science.
Thanks. I used to travel with some guys and they all had 1/2 ton pick-ups. Anyway, as I said earlier, we basically got all we could on the bars. Figured there was a better method than that.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I'm just learning this myself.

This is what I've come up with.

You need atleast 5 links at between the bar and the clamp. Ideally (in my situation) I've got 6 links. This is so there is no binding when you turn.

Also, Appearently, you want the trunion bars pretty level (parrallel to the trailer tongue).

Ideally you want the trailer level (front and back) and the truck to sit level when set up properly. You adjust the angle of the ball forward or backward to achieve the level trunion setup.

Now take this with a grain of salt with me. I'm still learning here too!!

This is a good read.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Travel Trailer Hitch Set-up Procedure

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
1. Adjust head height so that truck and trailer are level to slightly nose down when towing
2. Adjust head angle until the front axle weight is the same or higher than unloaded.

That's it. The bars should stay level with the trailer frame while making the head angle adjustments.

Tom

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Wow! If it were only that easy! You mean I spent all that time roasting in the california sun measuring everything out so it would tow effortlessly? Lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts