Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lurked on here for a while, skimming a LOT of towing threads. Here's what I have come up with and want a sanity check before I pull the trigger:

I have an '01 Tundra V8 SR5 4x4 w/tow pkg (I'm using a Prodigy brake controller)...I'm going to pull a '96 Firebird on a 16' Appalachian beaver-tail flatbed trailer. My trailer hitch height is 20", the trailer height is 14", so I am planning on a 6" drop shank.

Car weight ~ 3400lbs
trailer weight ~ 1900lbs
Tongue weight 590-600lbs

I'm looking at either the Reese 66066 or 66067 (400-800lb tw or 600-1200lb tw) connected to a Draw-tite #3215 WD shank.

Does all this look right? My big question is related to the tongue weight, should I go with the heavier capacity? I probably won't tow anything heavier with this truck, but if I ever went up to a 2nd Gen Tundra or Diesel Ram I could definitely go higher than 800lbs of tw.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Go with the 800 lbs bars. The 1,200 lbs are overkill and might damage your hitch (I did). Looks like that combo will work. Might want to call etrailer.com and see if they will cut you a deal on a Drawtite 49569:

Pro Series RB2 Round Bar Weight Distribution Kit with Shank, 800 lbs TW / 10,000 lbs GTW Draw-Tite Weight Distribution 49569

It comes with a shank, but it's not the right size for you. Maybe they'll do a swap and give you the package price +$10 for the 3215 shank. That would put the all Draw Tite package at around $270 vs. the Reese bars + Draw Tite shank at $360.

Tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
Great idea...I called etrailer, and blast! They are unable to change out the package because it's a pre-packaged kit from the mfg. I looked around online and was only able to find other sites that had the same or similar package...looks like I'm going to have to take a $100 hit and purchase the correct shank. :wallbang:

I think I'll go with the Reese WD bars though, since they have the option of adding the dual-cam sway control later if required.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts