Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been pondering the thoughts, or rather disappointments in Toyota, IMO, on my first Gen 06 DBL cab.

Pro's:
reliable truck
Roomy
Tows well

Con's:
It's basically an oversized Tacoma with a V8
Crappy Gas mileage
Light duty truck
Payload sucks
Towing mirrors are non existent

All this goes without saying, or wondering IF the 05/06's are going to have frame rust problems.

Just some thoughts. While I like my truck would I buy another Toyota? Jury is out on this question for me cause I really want something you can load a slide in camper into and tow a boat and NOT get 7 mpg (give or take).

List your pros and cons and if you had to do it again would you get another Toyota?

·
Registered
756 Posts
I love my 05 DC. Live in R.I. and frame rust is not an issue. It gets the same milage as everything else out there. just got one of the dealership buy back mailings, they offered me 19,700 trade in. I can see fine out the regular mirror but my camper is only 7.5' wide. It is a V-8 Tacoma. I think the people that are most disappointed are the ones who expect a 1/2 ton truck to do a 1 tons job.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had an '07 Tacoma before I got my '05 Tundra DC, so I can say this with credibility, "my Tundra is definitely not an over-sized Tacoma w/ a V8. It is much more truck for the money.

I liked my Tacoma.

I love my Tundra. Suits (recreation, camping, fishing, hunting, moderate hauling), my rather modest needs much better than the Tacoma.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went from a '96 GMC Sierra 4x4 to my '06 Tundra AC. Same dimensions, identical mileage, better towing capacity, more horsepower, better ride. Hopefully the Tundra will prove to be as reliable as the Sierra was.

It compares well to the last generation of domestic half-tons.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Pros:
10yrs old and I still can beat 2010 F150's!
Not as big as the big 3, thus I can fit down trails better.
Gas milage similar to newer trucks, but it is a truck so who cares.
Does everything I ask and more!

Cons:
Not alot of aftermarket support
Some rattles, but nothing a good layer of dynomat can't fix!

From my experience's with at least 8 Tundra's so far, I would absolutly buy another. If I sold mine today I'd be in the market for an 05/06, 2nd gen, or a Taco with a 6 speed! I feel you get alot more from Toyota's then you do with the others, and with all the media garbage you can really get a great deal on a great vehicle!!

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
The Gen 1 is more svelte and has better handling than the Gen 2.

The Gen 1 (at least mine) has no nanny nonsense (although that can be disabled in the 5.7) and the ALSD mode is useful to some degree in the 5.7.

The Gen 1 can almost match the 5.7 in acceleration under certain circumstances, such as from 10 mph to 50 mph. Outside of that range, the 5.7 buries it.

I don't worry about the tailgate on my Gen 1.

The accelerator did stick on my Gen 1, and it has not on my 5.7.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
I went from a low mileage 99 Silverado to my Gen 1. Much nicer truck and handles better. It's not my daily driver but I've put 9k on in the year I've had it (mostly back & forth FL / TN). Nice size for what I need and use it for. Gen 2s seem physically too big for my use / needs. Big dog fits great in the access cab back seat and decent mileage on the Interstate. Have not had any trouble (excluding TPMS pain in the arse) over the course of this first year. :thumb:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Pros: 2001 is paid off...
Cons: It's not a 2010...

Honestly I think the only thing I can complain about is that at 107K there are some creaks and rattles that drive me a little crazy, I hate leather where you touch, vinyl where you dont, and I wish I had a little more towing capacity. Also wish that the extra cab doors opened forward instead of backwards.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Brandon... the rattles might be caused by a missing or broken hanger on your exhaust system.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Pros:
Decent gas mileage, even on 38s
Enough power
Good size, not too big, and not too small
Stock front diffs are strong

Cons:
Little aftermarket support
Weak rear axles

Thats all I can think of for now

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Pros: chicks dig it, I can pull away from any other truck in it's class, it doesn't feel like I'm driving a work van(like chevy and ford), at 96k miles it is just broken in, mine has headers now, my dog fits perfectly comfortable in the back of the cab, I have beat on the truck for years and it never beat back, an 18 pack fits perfectly between my seat and the rear compartments, V8, chicks dig it, unintentional acceleration may one day get me out of a ticket, chicks dig it, the I got the bench seat with the flip up console and I love when chicks dig that!:heh:

cons: if I had kids I would get the DC because the AC is not made for carseats, it isn't supercharged, an 18 pack fits perfectly between my seat and the rear compartment, chicks dig it, there isn't much aftermarket support but that does breed creativity in us all so it might be a pro.

Would I get another? I'd rather keep the one I have but if I had to start all over I would get another for sure, maybe one with VVT-i, bit preferably one with a supercharger.:heh:

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
The pro's have been covered well. I would add for my AC model anyway:

. Fits in my garage for storage (important in snowy NE)
. Engine compartment has sufficient space to work on it (4.7)
. Bed can carry 4x8 plywood or drywall with no problems (home improvement stuff)
. Good power to weight ratio for a truck (though want more)

Cons: (not real complaints, the truck fits my needs and use)

. Aftermarket support, as posted, is not as strong like other models/brands

Would I buy another? Not a 2nd Gen. Do not need that size, though, the 5.7 is nice.
Would probably go with a Taco V6 for size, add an SC, and have plenty to play with.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
pro's:

rear sliding window--nobody else has it!
truck just flat out looks good!
back seat room on dc
excellent ride quality
easy to upgrade suspension to your liking (raise or lower)

cons:
c-frame
lack of knowledgeable programmers for our ecu's
scarcity of bench seats for front

1 - 19 of 19 Posts