Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it that you Sequoia owners like/dislike about it? I guess more importantly the dislikes, since I am on the fence between a Sequoia and a Tundra... any input would be greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I like that I can haul my dogs and other people around and have plenty of room for everybody. Can't think of much that I don't like about my Sequoia so far. Sorry I believe there are some people here that have both a Sequoia and a Tundra (lucky people) so maybe they can help you out more. Goodluck! Let us know what you get.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Your needs!

It just depends on your needs. We have a Sequoia for future "family members" and we can haul the big dogs in the back as well. I am considering a Tundra as well b/c we took the Sequoia on a family trip and I loved the Sequoia feel! I enjoyed it so much I have considered the Tundra. I haul big things from time to time and the Tundra has thumbs up by everyone, so it really comes down to your needs and wants you cant go wrong w/ either one they are both great vehicles.

Tiger

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
livo,

definitely depends on your needs. if i only had one - two kids and wasn't thinking of having anymore i would've definitely bought a tundra. i have 3 so the sequoia was my only choice between the two. i love my sequoia because it is my family vehicle, but i am hoping to hand the sequoia over to my wife and get a tundra for myself in the future. so far i haven't had any issues w/ my sequoia and i love it! it is a great vehicle to travel in as well!

i think if you gave us a little more info on your needs then we could probably give you more insight. :) i know one thing is for sure, you can't go wrong w/ either! :D

good luck!
Chris

·
Registered
609 Posts
As one who sells them, I love that the quality is excellent, the ride is great, and the resale value is documented and proven. It's also a real treat to sell a vehicle that has many levels of extras, one can order-build quickly to spec, and is reasonably priced for all you get!

Gotta love Sequoias! I think I sold my 250th one (personally) last month. They are just terrific cars to sell.

Dianne

·
Registered
11 Posts
250th Sequoia

Di,

What's the prize for being the 250th Sequoia customer. I'm the guy with the jumping killer whale on your inventory web page, it could have been me.

Love the Sequoia. Bought Limited alloys on eBay for $350. Sold my SR-5 alloys for $300. Had the wheels remounted and added the Limited spoiler (aftermarket) at Airsteam in Huntington Beach, CA. They were fantastic!

Except for heated seats (don't need 'em) and power-fold mirrors (would have liked that feature), I'm driving a sand colored Limited!

Love it!:sleep:

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
I'm happy to say we have one of each -- a 2000 SR5 Tundra Access Cab 4WD with the Offroad Package, and a 2001 SR5 Sequoia 4WD, both nicely equipped.

Driving one is virtually identical to driving the other. I've driven both on long trips, 900+ miles each way, and I can't really say that one is better for this than the other. Both are FABULOUS freeway cruisers. I live high in the mountains, and both are amazing on twisty mountain roads and are very sure-footed in mud, gravel, rain, and snow.

That being said, there are three slightly noticable differences:

1) The Tundra has a longer wheelbase. This means the Sequoia is just a bit more nimble in parking lots and such, and it is VERY nimble indeed.

2) The Tundra is very quiet, but the Sequoia is just a bit quieter.

3) The Tundra has a leaf spring rear suspension while the Sequoia has a coil spring five-link suspension. This gives the Sequoia a slightly better ride on a rough road. On the freeway, they ride about the same.

So, I suggest picking one based on what you will be using it for. Here are some suggestions for deciding:

1) If you spend most of your time driving by yourself, then it doesn't matter which you pick. Find the next most significant thing you do with it and go on.

2) If you spend a significant amount of time hauling more then two people (total) for more than an hour or so, pick the Sequioa. Nobody should have to ride for a long time in the back seat of any "access cab" styled truck, even a Tundra. The Sequoia is extremely comfortable for five or more people.

3) If you haul lots of cargo that will be dirty, such as tools, pick the Tundra.

4) If you haul lots of dead animals, such as elk or deer, pick the Tundra.

If you still can't decide, just flip a coin -- you can't make a bad choice!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I am a lucky one with both a Tundra(2001) and Sequoia(2002). Upgraded from a single cab Toyota truck to the Tundra because we had our first kid and I needed a truck with a backseat. After a little over a year, my father AND father in law both had Tundra's as well(says A LOT about how nice this truck is). Then I decided my wife's '94 Accord had to go, because we were expecting our 2nd kid and wanted to be able to carry our growing family as well as other family members. My wife was hell bent on getting a minivan(a crushing blow to my manhood for sure). She didn't like the domestic SUV's, but one day I mentioned the Sequoia and she was interested. One drive in it, and she was hooked.
I would say, if you have kids then go for the Sequoia unless you definitely need the truck. But if you need a truck, try waiting until 2004 when hopefully they have a super crew(4 real doors). Trying to get in and out of the back is a royal pain in tight spots. Also, the rear seat in the tundra is pretty cramped.
Having said this, I sometimes wonder what I really paid for with the Sequoia. It's an awesome vehicle for sure, but really it is not much different than the Tundra but is a whole lot more expensive. Sure, auto climate control is nice, but really necessary?? If you can do without a lot of the luxuries, you may find the Tundra has everything you need at a lot less $$. One thing for sure, if you get the Tundra go with captain chairs. I thought I liked the bench seat until I got the Sequoia. Now I kick myself everyday for getting the bench seat in the Tundra(not as comfortable, less storage in center console, and no stealthbox sub option).
Bottom line, you won't be disappointed in either. Just decide what you really need and get the vehicle that best fits that need. But if you have kids and expect that they will be riding with you often, I would think twice about getting the Tundra in current form(wait for the super crew). If you rarely carry passengers, then go for the 2003 Tundra(upgraded brakes and looks alone make it worthwhile). And I will give a plug for Dianne. I bought my Sequoia from her and really liked not having to haggle for 8 hours for the best price.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sequoia - A Few Shortcomings

I have a 2002 White SR5 Sequoia fairly well equiped- Overall we love the vehicle.

Here's a Very Short List of What I Don't Like:

1)The one shortcoming which is unforgiveable is the lack of memory seats for a vehicle in this price range. Shame, shame, shame on you Toyota !

2) The standard oem Radio/Cassette/CD and 6 speakers are marginal at best (not sure if the JBL upgrade is much better from some of the posts I've read).

That's all I can think of- and I was aware of them after the first test drive prior to purchasing.

The Chevy Tahoe topped the Sequoia in those 2 areas- but it wasn't a deal breaker so we went for the established reliabilty of the Toyota and the real third seat in the rear.

Good Luck !

·
Registered
609 Posts
Re: 250th Sequoia

D -- Shamu on you! ;> LOL! You got your prize ... it's in your garage - just the way you ordered it! O:>

Now, on to more fun, like hitting #300 soon!

X-Shamu said:
Di,

What's the prize for being the 250th Sequoia customer. I'm the guy with the jumping killer whale on your inventory web page, it could have been me.

Love the Sequoia. Bought Limited alloys on eBay for $350. Sold my SR-5 alloys for $300. Had the wheels remounted and added the Limited spoiler (aftermarket) at Airsteam in Huntington Beach, CA. They were fantastic!

Except for heated seats (don't need 'em) and power-fold mirrors (would have liked that feature), I'm driving a sand colored Limited!

Love it!:sleep:

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have a 01 Sequoia and 01 Tundra, both 4-wheel drive models. In nasty weather (snow & ice) the Sequoia is by far the better vehicle in stock form. I haven’t been in a situation yet where I had to really put it to the test, but I believe you’re locked up at all four corners when you’re in 4L with the Sequoia. Anyone able to comment from experience one way or another if this is true?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have any of you Sequoia owners run into similar brake problems as us Tundra owners? I have friends that own an '01 Sequoia SR5, and had brakes replaced at 14,000 miles. I'm hoping that Toyota will revisit Sequoia brakes for '03, as they are with the Tundra. I'm thinking about selling my Tundra and buying an '03 Seqoia because my Tundra is too small for a family of 5. Since I still need a pickup for camping and hauling toys, I'm thinking about an old F250 or F350 crew cab as a 3rd vehicle. I just don't want to swap my Tundra's problems for a more expensive Sequoia with problems that Toyota hasn't dealt with yet. Based on my 18 month old Tundra, I'm wondering about Toyota's reliability these days - doesn't seem to be what it used to be. Don't know if I really want to shell out 50 grand for a loaded Seqoia with the S/C, unless I'm pretty sure I'm going to be real happy with it for the next 8 years or so.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
edrizza, I just had my 30K done this past Saturday and the original brakes were listed as 35%/front and 75%/rear remaining. Why not keep the Tundra as a 3rd vehicle and purchase the Sequoia ;) Good Luck. Hope all turns out well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Extracted from:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/longterm/articles/59751/page003.html

Our appointment was set for 7 a.m. and our pick-up call came at about 4:30 pm. The result: The dealer replaced the front brake pads with what it called "upgraded pads," resurfaced the rotors because of some warpage, the technicians deemed the alignment OK, and some interior trim pieces were re-secured. The dealer found that the tire showing irregular wear had even wear on both edges and suggested that running it with low tire pressure may have caused the wear. But we think that is unlikely, since we regularly check the tire pressure. We received a courtesy tire rotation. We are not going to pretend that replacing brake pads and having warped rotors doesn't bother us at 6,300 miles, but rest assured we will keenly watch this over the next 6,000 miles. Our service advisor implied that they had seen this before on Sequoias and that the upgraded pads (the factory brake pads being the suspected source of the problem) should do the trick.
Pablo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts