Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a great deal on a set of 17 x 9 wheels that will fit my 2008 Tundra. I am currently running 20's and it is supposed to have 18's. I figure a nice 285/70/17 tire would look great. What are the advantages/disadvantages of dropping??

·
Registered
525 Posts
what wheel? there are very few that wont hit the front brake calipers

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
besides lookin small and ugly? nothin...as long as its a TRD wheel that will actually fit....dont think theres much else besides that....do 18s and be done with it if u dont want the 20s. 17s just are too small for this truck. i know the larger sidewall for off roading blah blah.... they look silly.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are Fuel Hostage wheels. The seller claims that the Tundra TRD's are listed as compatible. Now, I am worried though. Hmm. I would go with an 18 x 9 if I could find one that I could afford!! I just bought a set of Limited 18's in perfect shape. Guess I will have to sell them first. What should I ask for them? Then, my 20's?

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
Some 17" wheels will fit w/o issue. BF has a point, 17's can look small on the truck, but if you have a good deal in place and YOU like them, then go for it. They may have slight ride quality and offroad performance advantages... Tires tend to be less expensive, too. I'm about to switch from an 18" wheel to a 17" beadlock wheel - form follows function in my book.

·
Registered
217 Posts
After all my research about putting 17" wheels on these newer Tundras, I came up with 3 17" wheels they state that work.

Mickey Thompson Classic II's in 17x9

KMC Beadlocks in 17x9

Rock Warrior wheels from Toyota

All these state that these wheels work but I think they all have a high offset

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, when I did my initial research on here that is what I came up with too. I might buy them and give it a shot. I can always put a small spacer behind if I need too

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, but I think that they are specifically designed for the larger calipers...?? I went ahead and bought a set of 18x8's from the local salvage yard. They are not the limited edition's like my 20's but serviceable. I have been sand and painting all day to get them blacked out. They look pretty good now. Just letting them cure. I think I am gonna wrap them in some Dynapro ATM's 275/65/18's. Not really what I wanted but it will do for now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts