Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your opinion about topping off your gas tank. I have heard some say no problem and others say not good. Am I the only one that does this or do most of ya'll do it also?

·
No job too small.
2,206 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I usually top it off to the nearest $.25. The truck can usually take about another $1 before I even have to worry about spilling any out.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I usually top it off to the nearest $.25. The truck can usually take about another $1 before I even have to worry about spilling any out.
Same here. Hate crappily maintained pump nozzles :td: that only operate at high flow rates so it's impossible to stop where you're aimin' for. Sometimes I believe stations do it intentionally so the mechanical slop factor will get 'em a few extra cents a day from all those hundreds or thousand-plus fill-ups every day.

Second to that is the moron on the other side who keeps hammerin' and hammerin' away like a ticking clock to get that last inch up the filler neck while oblivious to the "water hammer" he/she's causing everyone else around. FWIW, I don't think anyone here :cool: has been on the other side of the pump from me, so don't take my remarks personally. ;) JMO

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have never understood the need to keep pumping that handle. What is an extra $0.25 cents of gas going to do for you? maybe an extra 2-3 miles worth?

Around here we have these new emission recovery nozzles. I have always suspected that if you top off you run the risk of pumping a slug of that gas right back into the station. The signs say "Do not top off". But people can't comprehend it for some reason. :confused:

I always do the one squeeze after initial shutoff to make sure the first was not a fluke. I like to be consistent because I track my gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Once I've pumped and filled her up. That's it. No more squeezing. I don't like wiping spills. ;)

·
Registered
831 Posts
I top it off, for some reason I've had it on more than one occasion that the pump will stop with 2 gallons left to pump.

·
Registered
225 Posts
There really is no logical reason other than being extremely anal. Do you also press your lock button on the keyless entry remote more than three times to make sure the truck is locked?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Once the pump stops pumping gas that is it DO NOT keep filling it up or gas will travel down the breather tube and into the charcoal canister and when the charcoal get soaked with gas it can’t breathe and it will take a long time for it to dry out longer then your next fill up.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Once the pump stops pumping gas that is it DO NOT keep filling it up or gas will travel down the breather tube and into the charcoal canister and when the charcoal get soaked with gas it can’t breathe and it will take a long time for it to dry out longer then your next fill up.
Exactly what i was going to say. And can be a very expensive repair.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I put in what ever is cheapest, usually it's Hess, top it off as often as possible, press my alarm remote 3 times, eat lunch and then go swimming, and afterwards I run about 3 miles with scissors in hand until I get exhausted or I fall. Which ever comes first....:D

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
after the first click, i round up to the nearest dollar. no problems reported.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I try and pump until I hit a round dollar figure. I also track my mileage. If I can't get to a full dollar figure, I get to a round gallon figure. And yes, I hit the remote lock 2x because I'm deaf and can't hear the beep. :D
Just checking. LOL:tu:

·
No job too small.
2,206 Posts
It always drove my Dad nuts when the Service Station Attendant (in OR) would top off. He didn't want to pay for spills when the auto shut-off failed, even briefly, and hated having the attendant in control of it. He said, let the car and pump work together, and leave it alone.

I had gas splash on my Tuxedo when topping off before a wedding. I still do a click or 2 past the first cutoff; old habit I'm trying to break, and I try to gas up before dressing up.

I also used to round up to the nearest dollar when using checks or cash, but with pay-at-the-pump, and Quicken doing the calculations the pennies don't matter as much.

It's good to know about the charcoal canister. :tu: Thanks.

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Why do you think there are signs all over the gas station that say “DO NOT TOP OFF”? You would think the gas station would want you to top off so they could sell more gas. Or is it because it might f**k up your truck?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Why do you think there are signs all over the gas station that say “DO NOT TOP OFF”? You would think the gas station would want you to top off so they could sell more gas. Or is it because it might f**k up your truck?

Yeah, so don't ever ever do it again. End of story and end of ghey thread.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts