Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cleaned up my 2010 DC yesterday. Occasionally I spray down the inner fender wells with simple green and wash with a soft brush. Noticed the brush turned black. Took a closer look and sure enough the protective coating on the metal portion of the IFW is washing off. I can actually rub the stuff off with a thumb or finger. Has a texture kinda like a sticky graphite. Anyone else seeing this.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I would take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it. I dont think it would protect much if you can just rub it off.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I have noticed this in the rear fender wells, doesn't rub off though

·
Registered
710 Posts
Probably a tar-based coating? If so, don't use "degrease" cleaners on it. In fact, don't use degreaser anywhere on the exterior, except maybe spot cleaning something.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
my thoughts too...the degreaser isnt needed unless you have grease..and undercarriages and wheel wells dont get greasy unless you have a leak or drove through something. i just use a long handled brush with carwash soap from the bucket at the end of the washing and scrub that way. no issues with anything coming off on mine. clean it regularly (like you seem to be doing) and you'll never have the need to use stronger than soap and water on the undercarriage, wheel wells, engine, etc....unless of course you have a leak or something but thats not the case here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts