Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small tear in the driver side power steering gear boot where it connects to the tie rod. The advice I am getting from a local repair shop and the dealer is that the presence of the fluid indicates a bad steering rack and replacing it is going to run $800 - $900. The vehicle is a 2002 Sequoia 4x4 with 118K. Does this seem like the right advice? I am starting to hear a whine when I turn the wheel but, the ps fluid level is still good. The leak is very small. I am wondering how critical getting this handled is. I do have a pretty major trip coming up, don't want to risk having the steering freeze up. Any advice wold be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You need a new steering rack. Buy a part online and help someone (or Pepboys) that you trust to install for you. The dealer charge too much.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hmm, not sure on the repair or if anything can be done for your existing steering rack. You may want to check some local wrecking / salvage yards I think I remember reading in another post that a used / salvaged unit could be had for about $100 or so??

Worth looking into.....keep us posted :tu:

Try a few searches as well, maybe someone else has a solution for this in a previous post...

Here's one...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts