Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I was on my way home and I was speeding because there is a long stretch of three lane road that there are no lights and no cops.

Anyway I was almost home and noticed that a off duty police officer was following me in his personal vehicle, flashing his headlights and his badge.

So, I was right down the street from my house and just decided to pull into my driveway knowing that an off duty officer can't write tickets anyway.

But what I found interesting is when he asked why I was speeding, I told him that I had to go to the bathroom really really bad, and I couldn't wait much longer, acting with a sense of urgency.

Well, I guess it worked because he said he definitely understands and next time to use my hazard lights.

I wonder if this excuse would have worked if he was on duty..:D

Next time someone gets pulled over go ahead and give it a shot and let us all know how it worked out.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
knowing that an off duty officer can't write tickets anyway. FALSE , popular misconception, presuming they have jurisdiction.

I told him that I had to go to the bathroom really really bad, and I couldn't wait much longer, acting with a sense of urgency.

Well, I guess it worked because he said he definitely understands and next time to use my hazard lights.

I wonder if this excuse would have worked if he was on duty. Maybe or maybe not. Hazard light suggestion sounds like you encountered some inexperienced LEO.

Next time someone gets pulled over go ahead and give it a shot and let us all know how it worked out.
Perceived honesty may be of benefit.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
an off duty LEO can write tickets same way as he on duty (at least my brother got his by an off duty LEO)

·
Registered
756 Posts
an off duty LEO can write tickets same way as he on duty (at least my brother got his by an off duty LEO)

I really don't see how that would hold up in court. No radar, it would become your word vs his. As we all know cops lie cheat and steal just as much if not more than the common folk. I would have told him to f-off.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I really don't see how that would hold up in court. No radar, it would become your word vs his. As we all know cops lie cheat and steal just as much if not more than the common folk. I would have told him to f-off.
I agree!!! It does seem unfair for him not being able to tell how fast you were going cos he didnt have a radar but when it comes to your word vs mine the cops win!!!! and that pisses me off so bad. I am doing 24hrs of Level 2 DWAI ED, 54 classed of anger managment, 24 hrs of volunteer work I have to attend a MADD impact panel and I am on probation for 12 mo for a my word against yours.... F%#@k!!!!!!!!!!

Lukily i got my license back for i had a good lawyer so I can drive my self to all this bs!!! and the best thing is my wife is due in 7 weeks and I just started this BS...

Sorry i am all worked up all over again.... maybe the anger mngmnt is good for me... LOL

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Generally, law enforcement officers are in a duty status 24/7/365. They work shifts, but even when not on shift officers are expected to be armed and to enforce the laws. And officers don't need radar to tell how fast you are going ... just following you at an even interval and observing his own speedo is sufficient. Good excuse you had there.

·
Registered
137 Posts
So is it still a bad thing when an off duty LEO pulls over a reckless driver racing down your street when your kids are out playing in the front yard? There will always be bad apples in any group, but I think on or off duty, LEO's do far more good than harm.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even if they are "on duty 24/7" how is it they would be able to write a ticket, or even pull you over, wearing street clothes driving a beat up 4runner flashing his headlights in your rearview mirror and flashing some badge? There is no way in hell that would hold up in court.

For all I know, it could have been some crazy guy with a fake badge pissed off that I went screaming past him. I have heard too many horror stories. He even said come over to his car, and I was like, uhh no, you can tell me whatever you have to tell me from there.

On the other hand, if there was a crime in progress I would think they could do something, but not write a ticket.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'll weigh in here as a Police officer. I have and do have the authority to write tickets off duty. With that being said would I do it for speeding? NO? You would have to prove in court you had some way of measuring his speed. Unless you had the speedometer on your personal vehicle calibrated on a regular basis you wouldn't have a means of doing that. Police officers are recognized in the State of Ohio as experts on speed in a court of law and could testify based on their experience what speed they believed you were doing. The only tickets I have written off duty were for road rage incidents I witnessed. Even then, I got a good look at the driver and waited until I was on duty to go issue the citations. Both of those cases held in court. As you can see I have only written two tickets in my 16 year career for off duty issues. The best weapon an officer has is discretion. I like being away from work and not having to do things. I don't take speeders as a personal attack on my ego. Unfortunately some officers do. It is not worth endangering others chasing after someone in an umarked vehicle while off duty. BTW the bathroom story doesnt work with seasoned officers. I once had a guy tell me he had diarrhea really bad when I clocked him doing 92 in a 65. I told him if he sh*** hisself while I wrote the ticket I would take it back. When I walked back to his car I realized by my sense of smell I was going to have to take the ticket back. One of the good stories you remember.

·
Registered
187 Posts
There was a story that came out of the SCCA club in our area.

Green Lamborghini Merci, driving down the highway at 75 (posted 55) and a unmarked crown vic starts riding her *** really really close. Driver (who often gets odd behavior while driving her lambo from other cars) gets kinda freaked out after a couple of mins of this and many opportunities to pass and punches it to get away from strange guy in crown Vic reaching speeds of 105-110 and then slows down after a bit. Crown vic comes racing up next to her and waving a badge yelling pull over. She does, when she comes to a stop she hops out the car and met the officer half way and started *****ing at him... "you scared the hell out of me, I get some strange behavior from others while driving this car, but you were right up my ***, what the hell were you thinking" Officer apologizes for getting so close and asked her to calm down.. For future references the officer states... "call 911 if someone makes you uncomfortable before driving 110 mph and out running an unmarked cop car... Have a nice day"

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So let me see if I got this thread straight

You drive in a selfish irresponsible manner

You LIE to a police officer to avoid taking even the slightest amount of personal responsibility for your actions

You come here and post about it on the interweb as if expecting some kind of pat on the back.

You are just mad because you would be the one who would take responsibility and say; "even though you are off duty officer, I would like for you to write me a ticket".

As far as wanting a pat on the back, uh no, I thought I would share a funny story to get a few kicks.

So, go ahead and take a good, hard, very long look at this picture, because you my friend are the douche bag.

Have a nice weekend!:)

·
Registered
204 Posts
even better don't tell me you never speed. granted I don't know you from a bar of soap but everyone has gone faster than the speed limit at least once.
Yes I do! but I for damn sure don't lie about it when I get pulled over. I'll straight up tell the LEO "Yes I was in a hurry" or "I wasn't paying attention" depending and you know what more often than not I will just get a warning. I have a little more honor and self esteem to look at another grown man and LIE just to get out of a little personal responsibility.

I'll bet you money the OP was going more than 5 ot 10 over to get a off duty officer to take away from HIS time off to simply harass the OP

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
You are just mad because you would be the one who would take responsibility and say; "even though you are off duty officer, I would like for you to write me a ticket".

As far as wanting a pat on the back, uh no, I thought I would share a funny story to get a few kicks.

So, go ahead and take a good, hard, very long look at this picture, because you my friend are the douche bag.

Have a nice weekend!:)
i could not have said it better myself!!!!!!!!!:becky:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In fact you are such a douche bag that you saved that image to you computer to use whenever you feel the need to lash out at someone. I have seen that thing like 5 times already.

Loser

·
Registered
204 Posts
i could not have said it better myself!!!!!!!!!:becky:

Even the last line where he tries to get everyone else to try lying to LEO in the same manner he did

Next time someone gets pulled over go ahead and give it a shot and let us all know how it worked out

Sorry I'm not gonna stoop to you two's level

IBTL

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Even the last line where he tries to get everyone else to try lying to LEO in the same manner he did

Sorry I'm not gonna stoop to you two's level

IBTL
Good, then stop commenting on my thread.

And go search the internet for a new image to post when you feel the need to express yourself.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My dad actually used that same excuse and gotten away with it ....but when i tired i got a ticket...maybe cuz of my age:cry3d:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes I do! but I for damn sure don't lie about it when I get pulled over. I'll straight up tell the LEO "Yes I was in a hurry" or "I wasn't paying attention" depending and you know what more often than not I will just get a warning. I have a little more honor and self esteem to look at another grown man and LIE just to get out of a little personal responsibility.

I'll bet you money the OP was going more than 5 ot 10 over to get a off duty officer to take away from HIS time off to simply harass the OP

*Well said*

Sorry I'm not gonna stoop to you two's level :tu:

IBTL
Even if they are "on duty 24/7" how is it they would be able to write a ticket, or even pull you over, wearing street clothes driving a beat up 4runner flashing his headlights in your rearview mirror and flashing some badge? There is no way in hell that would hold up in court. *Your lucky, he could have sent you the ticket in the mail :p or came back on duty and issued it to you, and yes...IT WOULD HAVE! Law Officers are recognized by ALL courts as experts in th field of the laws - even traffic with out a radar, you ARE NOT that's why their word carries more wieght than yours.*

For all I know, it could have been some crazy guy with a fake badge pissed off that I went screaming past him.YA, that hapens alot~ I have heard(?) too many horror stories.(really...sounds like you need to come out of LALA land) He even said come over to his car, and I was like, uhh no, you can tell me whatever you have to tell me from there.

On the other hand, if there was a crime in progress I would think they could do something, but not write a ticket.[/QUOTE]

*Speeding is a crime, it's breaking the law...DA:eek: besides, a ticket is a simple summons for you to repond for YOUR actions.*

*This is the exact problem to society today. NO ONE ACCEPTS RESPONSIBILITY ANYMORE. This is why Toyota has a bad reputation with its most recent recall and up-coming AIR induction pump and rotar issues. IF THEY (YOU), STEPPED UP TO THE PLATE AND ADMITTED THEIR (YOUR), FAULT, THEN NO ONE WOULD CARE *

*You sure are a great role model and you should be proud of yourself.....news flash grow up. Sure, people lie all the time, speed all the time, but take a look at the big picture what message are you sending whe you say it's OK to LIE to the people who YOU appointed to Serve and Protect your Community. If you can't deal with the consequence of a little speeding ticket then stop speeding. *

What is funny dullard, is that you can come on here and post a "funny story" and admitt to dozens of strangers that you were breaking the law and that you lied to an officer of the law and that you encouraged others to do so, yet you still don't see the irony and idiocy that you've sunken to all while criticizing others for pointing out YOUR illogical ignorant thought process.
BTW: it wasn't funny, however you reaction to those who called you out was hillarious!:ts:
Good luck with Life, your going to need it:clumsy:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Even if they are "on duty 24/7" how is it they would be able to write a ticket, or even pull you over, wearing street clothes driving a beat up 4runner flashing his headlights in your rearview mirror and flashing some badge? There is no way in hell that would hold up in court. *Your lucky, he could have sent you the ticket in the mail :p or came back on duty and issued it to you, and yes...IT WOULD HAVE! Law Officers are recognized by ALL courts as experts in th field of the laws - even traffic with out a radar, you ARE NOT that's why their word carries more wieght than yours.*

For all I know, it could have been some crazy guy with a fake badge pissed off that I went screaming past him.YA, that hapens alot~ I have heard(?) too many horror stories.(really...sounds like you need to come out of LALA land) He even said come over to his car, and I was like, uhh no, you can tell me whatever you have to tell me from there.

On the other hand, if there was a crime in progress I would think they could do something, but not write a ticket.[/QUOTE]

*Speeding is a crime, it's breaking the law...DA:eek: besides, a ticket is a simple summons for you to repond for YOUR actions.*

*This is the exact problem to society today. NO ONE ACCEPTS RESPONSIBILITY ANYMORE. This is why Toyota has a bad reputation with its most recent recall and up-coming AIR induction pump and rotar issues. IF THEY (YOU), STEPPED UP TO THE PLATE AND ADMITTED THEIR (YOUR), FAULT, THEN NO ONE WOULD CARE *

*You sure are a great role model and you should be proud of yourself.....news flash grow up. Sure, people lie all the time, speed all the time, but take a look at the big picture what message are you sending whe you say it's OK to LIE to the people who YOU appointed to Serve and Protect your Community. If you can't deal with the consequence of a little speeding ticket then stop speeding. *

What is funny dullard, is that you can come on here and post a "funny story" and admitt to dozens of strangers that you were breaking the law and that you lied to an officer of the law and that you encouraged others to do so, yet you still don't see the irony and idiocy that you've sunken to all while criticizing others for pointing out YOUR illogical ignorant thought process.
BTW: it wasn't funny, however you reaction to those who called you out was hillarious!:ts:
Good luck with Life, your going to need it:clumsy:
1.) Life is great for me! Great job, great family, great girlfriend, great house, great friends, great everything... HAHAHAHAHAHA
2.) I find it funny I bother you that much for you to spend 20 minutes quoting everything I said, and come back with some response.
3.) If you don't like my story, then move on.
4.) Cops speed and break the law all the time, so why should they get away with it. What do I need to accept responsibilty for when they are hippocrates.
5.) refer to the uncle sam image above, becuase you are a deuch bag just like the other guy.
6.) See #5
7.) Go Fu&k yourself

Do you find that hilarious?;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.