Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I figured it out. Tell me what you think.

A while back, over 60,000 miles ago really, I installed a set of Pulstar sparkplugs in my 2006, 4.7 V8 Tundra, Clyde The Ride.
They were okay until one broke, so I replaced them with the factory sparkplugs until a replacement could be had.
Funny thing; immediately after changing back to stock, there was a noticeable drop off in pep, pick-up and smoothness, interesting as I had not noticed an improvement when I installed the Pulstar sparkplugs. Probably a computer adjustment thing, I reckon.
Eventually I re-installed Pulstars and have used them since. Recently I removed the Pulstars, and they looked so good I re-gapped and re-installed them.

I drive around for a living as a courier, to the tune of 150 to 300 miles a day. Usually, I fuel up daily so I know pretty fast if something is happening to affect gas mileage, good or bad. But the Pulstar sparkplugs made absolutely no difference in mileage which has flummoxed me because they are supposed to cause a more powerful plasma-induced burn and the theory is that the more power from a given amount of fuel the less throttle necessary for the same performance, ergo better gas mileage.
I kept thinking back to the dynamometer test the boys on "Trucks" did on their TV show and, sure enough, there was more power, right there on the read-out. I wondered about the vehicle they used, pre-computer and carbureted. Maybe it was my trucks computer responsible for my lack of improved mileage?

When one spends $40.00 or more for gasoline every day, ways to cut expenses are at the forefront, especially knowing that the current administration plans making gas more expensive. Barak Obama said he thought gas over $4.00 a gallon was a good idea, and I have every intention taking him at his word.
So, I've been looking at ways to cut expenses;
. A Natural Gas conversion is out of the question because the truck would not pass state Smog Inspection without an approved modification and by golly there aren't any approved kits.
. I've been looking at HHO, Hydrogen Gas Generators. Bewildering. But....AHA! I read that a piece of equipment necessary is a device to fool the vehicles computer.....because HHO causes a fast, powerful burn that makes more power out of the same amount of gas, makes the combustion leaner so to speak and the computer senses this as a lean condition and adds fuel to compensate thus defeating the whole purpose of more power from less fuel from better combustion.
Just like Pulstar sparkplugs!

So, if my logic is as impeccable as I believe it is......where do I find whatever the device is, to fool my trucks computer into allowing the leaner and more powerful burn?

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Hey Shatto,

Yep, you and I are standing before the same wall wondering the same damn thing. How in the heck do we override the ECU in order to run a little leaner?

Anybody? Could be your retirement opportunity to crack this riddle.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I know you two both have Gen 1's, but....

Way back in the 90's when i had my first couple of Toyotas, there was a company that sold updates for ecu's. i found them when i ordered stuff from Performance Products. I believe that it is Jacobs or something that starts with a "J".

Just a thought? If there is a company that will take a "stock" tune and reprogram for better fuel economy, why aren't the stepping up to the plate?

I had a Superchips programmer for my 2002 F150 and used it for many things, increased power when towing, adjust for larger tires, etc.. the biggest gain I ever got was when we hooked it up to a buddies Lighting, changed the shift points and with a smaller pulled did nothing but smoke the tires.

I like the power my truck makes, am will to tinker with things that will increase my mileage and like Shatto (no not the pictures) drive a bunch of miles daily. I am aware that the 2010 FlexFuel 5.7 has different programming. I am also willing to get better than 18 mpg out of a full size truck.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Not exactly a new concept..... yu need to adjust the signal coming from the O2 sensors/circuit...telling the ECU that there is a richer than optimal fuel parameter. It will then compensate for this with leaner fuel management.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you want fuel economy you should be driving a 4 cyl Tacoma with a manual trans. If you need more room for cargo, attach a small lightweight trailer to the Tacoma and you'll still get better fuel economy than with a gas hog V8 Tundra

Fooling around with the spark plugs and fuel mixture of a Toyota is a receipe for mechanical and hence, financial disaster especially for an owner in an urban area of California with it's ultra strict smog laws

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The several times I have dyno'd my truck they always harrass me for my a/f ratio! These trucks are set up to burn real rich. This cools the combustion temp causing less NOX. The extra hydro carbons are then cleaned up with the catalytic converters.

If you lean out the a/f ratio you will get more power, up to 20 hp I'm told, and better mileage. I have loosely researched this subject, if I had the money I'd go ahead with it.

sounds like Jet and unichip are the only 2 choices. I'm not sure if you can get a custom tune, or what? I know with unichip you can have it tuned how you want, just pay for dyno time.

If I had cali smog laws to consider I would want an option to switch back to stock since it would cause a fail for too much NOX.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts