Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2001 Tacoma Prerunner XtraCab for my daughter and it has 181,000 miles with a 6 cylinder. In my 2013 Tundra and my Wife’s Highlander I run Mobil 1 0W20 oil. Looking for a suggestion to run in her Tacoma? Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Thats a pretty open ended question. The site is not as busy as it used to be but a question like that could have got you 20 replies and all would be different.
Here's my uneducated 2 cents worth. Based on the age I would guess your truck says 5/30 on the cap so run what it says to run. You can go synthetic if you like since it should last longer but its also a lot more money so its up to you. The smartest thing you can do, instead of listening to a bunch of know it alls like us, LOL, is send in a sample of your oil to Blackstone labs. They will tell you exactly how your oil is doing and how long you can run it between changes.

Reactions: Jonesy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats a pretty open ended question. The site is not as busy as it used to be but a question like that could have got you 20 replies and all would be different.
Here's my uneducated 2 cents worth. Based on the age I would guess your truck says 5/30 on the cap so run what it says to run. You can go synthetic if you like since it should last longer but its also a lot more money so its up to you. The smartest thing you can do, instead of listening to a bunch of know it alls like us, LOL, is send in a sample of your oil to Blackstone labs. They will tell you exactly how your oil is doing and how long you can run it between changes.
Thanks, I was asking because I assume or hoped someone had a Tacoma around that age with miles close to that and was looking for opinions. My assumption is I will run 5w30 Mobil 1 in it but also plan to ask my mechanic his advise. Just want to do what I can to keep it running well for my daughter since it's her first vehicle.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
You can get an opinion from someone else who also drives a Tacoma but what will that prove? Not trying to be a dick or anything, just as I stated before, opinions dont really do you any good because they are just that, opinion and not at all fact based. You will get the guy who says he runs conventional oil and changes it every 5k and never a problem, and the guy who swears by synthetic and also never had a problem, but again, those are just the opinions of a bunch of schmucks, myself included. Thats why I suggested sticking with what that manufacturer quotes as the required oil for now, run it at the required change interval, then get your used oil sent to Blackstone labs to see how its performing. The test only costs $28. Money well spent on 19 year old vehicle.

Reactions: Jonesy
1 - 4 of 4 Posts