Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
My key doesn't seem to have any issues starting my truck. Doesn't seem logical to spend money just to start the truck in a different manner.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Unless the vehicle is equipped with a smart key, I find push button starts rather annoying. Why the button if you're sticking the key in the ignition anyway.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Unless the vehicle is equipped with a smart key, I find push button starts rather annoying. Why the button if you're sticking the key in the ignition anyway.
agreed. if u really must have the button they have aftermarket cheesy buttons for race cars and such u could wire in. cant be that hard.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Gay and it seams really rice..

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
I prefer a key to start my vehicle. That is our problem now. To many computers in our vehicles. Give me an old 57 Chevy pickup and call it a day.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
My key doesn't seem to have any issues starting my truck. Doesn't seem logical to spend money just to start the truck in a different manner.
+ 1 if it ain't broke, don't fix it... I think that's how the saying goes here in the south.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The first car I ever drove had a push button start...it was on the floor next to the headlight dimmer switch. Now they put them up a little higher, guess that's progress!

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Push button starts are a fad. Unless you have arthritis in your hands and can't turn a key, there pointless and the aftermarket ones have to be done properly to be safe.

I was riding in a car with someone who installed one themselves the cheap and dirty way - while we were driving along I was teasing him about pushing the start button. :devil:

·
Registered
112 Posts
There's too much technology in cars these days, ought to keep it simple. And adding an aftermarket bit of electronics that is responsible for starting your car is pretty optimistic... I wouldn't trust it if I were you, particularly if you plan to keep your truck for a couple more years.

Rather than spending money on a mod that will strand you if it fails, how about getting the anti-sway bar? You'll actually feel that mod while driving.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I would pay a couple hundred for a complete solution... As in like a full out Lexus retrofit... No cheezy knock-off....
as in...walk up with the FOB in pocket and grab the door handle...alarm disarms.....door unlocks... get in... put foot on brake and press the button...and go..

then when leaving... push the button once to kill the engine, twice to turn off ACC... open door, get out...press button on the outer door handle to lock and arm alarm...

Otherwise the trusty ole' key does the job.... just have to have a keyless entry remote dangling from/attached to it

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would pay a couple hundred for a complete solution... As in like a full out Lexus retrofit... No cheezy knock-off....
as in...walk up with the FOB in pocket and grab the door handle...alarm disarms.....door unlocks... get in... put foot on brake and press the button...and go..

then when leaving... push the button once to kill the engine, twice to turn off ACC... open door, get out...press button on the outer door handle to lock and arm alarm...

Otherwise the trusty ole' key does the job.... just have to have a keyless entry remote dangling from/attached to it
x2, I had this in my IS350 and it was really nice... but unless you're going to do the entire smart key system, it's a waste of money.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm happy with the "turn key once in ignition and it cranks itself" and found out my 04 sequoia does it too. That seems better to me then a aftermarket push button.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Hardly a fad. When done correctly - with a smart key - it's a nice convenience feature.

I just leave my fob in my handbag, walk up to the handle and it opens, push the clutch in and press the button once and it starts, and push a small button on the handle while exiting to lock it.

So easy, a caveman could do it...not trendy, just convenient.

·
Banned
444 Posts
If I was going to buy a kit, Being it SO Easy to do on the tundra. Less than $100. I thought of doing this with one of those stables "Easy Buttons" But they are just too big.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
If I was going to buy a kit, Being it SO Easy to do on the tundra. Less than $100. I thought of doing this with one of those stables "Easy Buttons" But they are just too big.
LOL - and have it say "that was easy" every time you started the truck :p

The smart key system is nice, but the start button alone without it is ricey and senseless.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Unless your going to spend the money on a complete smartkey system it hardly seems worth the trouble.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
Agreed, if I could save myself the enormous effort of actually removing the key from my pocket, and pressing the "auto unlock" button, and then the even greater effort of finding the keyhole and turning the key briefly to start, then it starting up, I'd likely figure that's gotta be worth at least a thousand bucks.

Then again, if I could get crank down windows, I'd be happy. One less $400.00 motor to go wrong. That will the the car of the future. Imagine! You can open and close your windows just by turning this little crank! Goes up and down even if there's no power, if you're in the car but don't have the ignition on, if you run into a lake and short out the battery, you can still open your window! How convenient.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Agreed, if I could save myself the enormous effort of actually removing the key from my pocket, and pressing the "auto unlock" button, and then the even greater effort of finding the keyhole and turning the key briefly to start, then it starting up, I'd likely figure that's gotta be worth at least a thousand bucks.

Then again, if I could get crank down windows, I'd be happy. One less $400.00 motor to go wrong. That will the the car of the future. Imagine! You can open and close your windows just by turning this little crank! Goes up and down even if there's no power, if you're in the car but don't have the ignition on, if you run into a lake and short out the battery, you can still open your window! How convenient.
So, why buy a Limited? :confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts